Thread: Any experience with Drill Doctor XPA? It's on sale at Rockler

Any experience with Drill Doctor XPA? It's on sale at Rockler

Hi guys, I got a flyer from Rockler saying that between 10/2/10 and 10/29/10 the "Drill Doctor XPA" would be on sale ($80 from $109). I can't find any reviews of it at all. I'm not even sure I need it cuz $80 buys a lot of drill bits.

Anyone used this one? Or any Drill Doctor at all?

Vince

I recently got the 500 model. I like it. Yes, $80 can buy alot of bits, but if you are buying good bits, it goes quick!
    I recently used the DD to sharpen a general bit from a super cheapo set to drill through some aluminum pipe for a trampoline safety net. I sharpened the bit and split the point with the DD... worked like a champ!

You must take the time to read the instructions, and practice on a cheap or broken bit first...

I have had the 750 for a couple of years. Spent a couple of days sharpening and sorting all the drill bits I have accumulated and was going to sharpen "one day". Money well spent. It really doesn't take that long to spend $80 on bits.
    If you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The pig loves it!

I have the cheapie model. I don't remember which one. It was money well spent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Lok View Post
    I'm not even sure I need it cuz $80 buys a lot of drill bits.
    That is what has kept me in check on this and other deals. It seems like it should be such a cool thing to have but, I almost never use split point bits and judging by my count over the last 5 years; I would be no where near paying for that thing yet. They just seem so clever.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'd be all over that sale, but my Dad gave me an old B&D power sharpener. I've used it on all of my bits, and it does a fair job. I'm sure the DD would be much better. But I can save some money for now. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Lok View Post
    Hi guys, I got a flyer from Rockler saying that between 10/2/10 and 10/29/10 the "Drill Doctor XPA" would be on sale ($80 from $109). I can't find any reviews of it at all. I'm not even sure I need it cuz $80 buys a lot of drill bits.

Anyone used this one? Or any Drill Doctor at all?

Vince
    I forget which model I have, but it's a nice tool.
    If you take an evening and sharpen up all your bits, they will drill so much better.. There's a lot of bits I had which technically still worked, but were dull enough that sharpening really helped them.. Now, if I was so motivated, I can make my bits like new as often as I want.
    I'm not going to buy a new set of drill bits every so often to get the same level of performance.

I'm with Paul. I don't know which model but it is about a year old and I like it a lot. Pretty simple to use, fast and does a very nice job. Much better than free hand like I used to do.

When you get to bigger bits the cost is saved very quickly.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"