Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air hose reel---HELP!!!!

I have the Sears 50ft one. Has functioned like a champ, forever.

hose reel

I had same problem and didn't want to pay $80 - 100. I bought the HF manual crank for $20 and then bought a quailty flexible 1/4" hose to use with it. This made all the difference to me. I think the 3/8" hoses are just too stiff no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Guys, I need an air hose reel. I've tripped over that hose on the floor for the last time.
    In a way, you're quite fortunate.

I'm CERTAIN that I'm going to trip over mine a few dozen more times, before I get the sense to do anything about it

Actually, though (sounding like a commercial), this IS a job for Harbor Freight.

They just bombarded me with new sale flyers. I'll see what's in them.

You ever notice, by the way, that you can leave that length of air hose in ONE place, after closing shop for the night, but it will appear somewhere ELSE, in the morning ... JUST so you can't develop a memory way to prevent tripping over it ?

Evil things. Vile, evil things.

According to the latest HF flier:

#46104 Retractable Air Hose Reel with 25 ft. Air Hose, $60 -> $40 with coupon
    #93897 50 ft. Retractable Air/Water Hose Reel with 3/8 in. Hose, $100 -> $90 *
    #40131 50 ft. Capacity Air Hose Reel (includes 30 ft. 3/8 in. poly cord rubber hose), $40 ->$30 *
    25, 50 and 100 ft. Goodyear 3/8 in. rubber air hoses 25% off *

* Eligible for additional 20% off with printable coupon on the HF web site:
    http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg

And don't forget the FREE FLASHLIGHT coupon:
    http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...es/flash_c.jpg

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Burner; 10-01-2010 at 12:39 PM.

BAH !

Haven't yet found any reasonably-priced options for 1/4" x 50' -- the hose I'm using, and with which I'm mighty happy !

Couple hundred bucks seems high. Didn't SEE anything on HF's site that would work.

Don't particularly want to spend the $$, AND/OR pay for hose I don't need.

Ah, well. If anybody knows of something ... please lemme' know !

As per Jim Becker in that older reference post.." 3/8" holds more air than 1/4"...so for tools and the like that use more air, the larger diameter is more efficient. "

Is the difference in diameter really all that noticeable?? Is it like one has a slightly larger volume tank?

My understanding is that if you are using tools, like impact wrenches and sanders, that require a large volume of steady air, you need the larger hoses. However, if you are just using a nail gun and filling tires (which may be slow but will work perfectly fine) you can use the smaller diameter ones.
    I drink, therefore I am.

will a water-hose reel work for your air hoses ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    My understanding is that if you are using tools, like impact wrenches and sanders, that require a large volume of steady air, you need the larger hoses. However, if you are just using a nail gun and filling tires (which may be slow but will work perfectly fine) you can use the smaller diameter ones.
    It was recommended to me that the LVLP conversion spray gun I use be fed with at least a 3/8" hose close to the end device for proper air supply. 3/8" rubber hose is a bit clumsy to drag around while spraying, so I use a short piece of polyurethane hose for the last 6 feet before the gun. I do the same at work with a pneumatic ROS. Of course it was also recommended that I use a hose for the gun dedicated to spraying and never used for air tools that involve oil so as to avoid contamination. Following that logic this hose reel won't be used for the spray gun, though I'm guessing it could be a feeder if an appropriate filter were used upline from it? My spray set up is at this point very adhoc and generally needs to be improved. Nothing a few lengths of 3/4" copper and some fittings couldn't fix, but I waited over 5 years to get a hose reel and don't want to rush into anything with the spray set up!

I am building a knock down spray booth for water borne's this weekend that seals off a small area of my shop when needed and is exhausted to the outside. Sort of a shop made wall of ladder frames wrapped in plastic to make a quick zip wall. I guess I'll add a drop down fed by 3/4" pipe with its own regulator and filter there. That will get rid of the "other" hose I have been tripping over. So between these two improvements I will have gained almost 100' of extra hose! What to do with all that hose?

Maybe I'll set up the back up compressor I found at the dump last year in my garage...in another year or two....then I can trip over those hoses 'there' instead of 'here' !