Thread: SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest - Bowls

SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest - Bowls

These are the bowl entries for the SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest.

Blog Entries

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (Bowl) – Jon Lanier

Cherry Burl 8 3/4" x 3 1/4"

Stabilized after drying with CA in certain areas with a mix of some burl powder and coffee grounds.

2 coats of Clear Shellac and 6 coats of Poly Wipe. Buffed and waxed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have a Nice Day!

SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest "Bowl"-Jack Mincey

I would like to enter this nested set in the 2010 fall contest. It is a set of seven natural edge bowls cored from a very large Red Oak Burl. The largest bowl in the set is 15 1/2" in dia. by 8" high. They are finished with ten plus coats of deft lacquer. The bowls are turned to 1/8" in thickness with the larger two being 1/4" in the bottom area. The smallest four bowls in the set have round bottoms so they fit in the set better but they still sit with out wobbling around, very well. The picture of the set spread out isn't great but they just wouldn't fit in my photo tent spread out.
    Thanks,
    Jack

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (Bowl) - Steve Carter

This is a Hawaiian calabash (Umeke) made from koa. I made it from the memory of the poi bowls I had seen when in the Army stationed in Hawaii. The backgrounds are from fabric we brought home in 1973. The bowl is 8" x 4" sanded to 400 with oil finish, beall buffed and ren wax.

bowl 074 koa 3.jpg

bowl 074 koa 4.jpg

bowl 074 koa 5.jpg

bowl 074 koa 2.jpg

bowl 074 koa 1.jpg
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (Bowl) – Jeremy Pyatskowit

Here is my entry into the contest. The bowl is a natural edge cherry burl bowl. The dimensions are 4.5" high by 5.5" wide. It is finished with wipe-on poly. I believe this is my first posted work on the creek.

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (bowl) - Ray Bell

Red Mallee Burl Bowl. Except for a lot of wire brushing, a little forming and sanding, I left the bottom as is because, well because I liked it. I like the undulations, welts, and warts. The bowl is 15 1/2" Dia. and 6 1/8" tall with the pedestal. The bowl is finished w/ three coats of brush-on lacquer. The pedestal is elm, finished with black acrylic latex enamel. Thank you Mod's for organizing this and a special thanks to the sponsors.

Ray

SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest (Bowl)- Tony Greenway

This is a NE Spalted Maple Pedestal Bowl w/ Blackened rim. It measures 13 1/4" x 9 3/4" x 8 1/2"tall, and has a 1/2" wall thickness. I sanded it to 400 grit and applied 3 coats of my own mixture of oils. No-buffing.
    My Turnings 266.jpg
    My Turnings 267.jpg
    My Turnings 268.jpg
    My Turnings 286.jpg
    .........Tony.........

Blog Entries

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (bowls) – Brent Grooms

This is my entry into the fall turning contest. Its a walnut crotch piece 8.5in dia x 1.75in high. The walls turned to a shade over 1/8in and its finished with wipe-on poly, 5 coats satin, 5 coats gloss and a whole lot of wet sanding.

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (bowl) – John Beaver

9 x 5 Spalted Maple "Recessed Wave" Bowl
    The small foot on the bowl lifts it slightly so one can see the spalted wood that wraps all the way to the base.
    Ebonized veneer was added to mimick the wave pattern on the inside of the bowl.
    Finished with Deft Spray Gloss Lacquer to bring out the black wave. The Maple was then sanded down to remove some sheen so it looks more natural.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (Bowl) – Jake Helmboldt

This is a shortleaf pine bowl turned from the stump of a tree that we lost along the property line with our neighbor's yard earlier in the year. The pine had blue stain which left a lot of interesting dark blue and black streaks. The photo in front of the lamp shows where a bunch of resin was retained near the pith and allows light to shine through with an amber glow. A few inclusions were left unfilled as well with one going all the way through.

Diameter is 11.5" with a height of 2.75". I finished it with 4 coats of Waterlox original and gave it a light buffing to give it some shine without being too glossy.

The neighbors have been wonderfully generous over the years and this will be going to them as a gift.

SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest - Bowls - Tom Hamilton

Wormy Butternut Footed Platter (obtained in a trade with another Creeker).

11" wide, 4" high

Wipe-on Poly finish

Butternut Bowl for Art Show Second Group 004 (2).jpg
    Butternut Bowl for Art Show Second Group 004 (4).jpg
    Butternut Bowl for Art Show Second Group 004 (5).jpg
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 10-14-2010 at 7:31 PM.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (Bowl) – David Gilbert

This is my entry into the fall turning contest. It is a spalted beech bowl that was turned green to final size and wall thickness of ¼ inch. The bowl was microwave dried and is now slightly oval (9 ½ x 10 ⅛) and about 2 ¾ inches tall. The bowl was finished with four coats of Minwax Antique Oil to give a satin finish. I really like this bowl’s rustic character and its irregular rim which can be seen in the last couple of photos.

Cheers,
    David