Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, who watched "Rough Cut"?

[QUOTE=Chris Padilla;1528060]Shoot! I set up my DVR to record Rough Cut and it recorded the Leonardo DiCaprio movie instead!

So Chris, are you going to build a model of the Titanic now that you've seen the movie?

LOL...I messed that one up, didn't I! I was thinking of "Blood Diamond" when I saw the movie I recorded. I did get the Burt Reynolds' one that Neil recorded.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Rowland View Post
    Will not be shown in Houston either. Have emailed station several times with no response.

Apparently, they feel "Yanni, Master of the Pan Flute" is more appealing to the Houston audience...
    Maybe Tommy can make a pan flute to get them on board... I'm dissapointed as well that they aren't carrying it in Houston. If only we could coax David Marks out of TV retirement...

Richard

I liked it

I liked the inaugural episode, I think Tommy kept the most important elements from the podcast. I do wish it was longer so he'd have time to go into more detail on some of the decisions (e.g., potentially trading width to avoid adding a 4th narrow board to the top) and procedures (e.g., making the breadboard).

I also like that Tommy mentioned me by name in the first episode! (He solicited questions to answer on his forum a few months back, and I submitted the question on glue squeeze out). Yep, I think I'm the "Mark M" he mentioned at the end, as the credits rolled. Who wants my autograph?
    Mark Maleski

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhi Arslan View Post
    ... I record and watch Woodsmith Shop enduring the most miserable pain listening to their worst than a cheap soap opera script recited in order, one starting the sentence the other one finishing it, with the hope that I'll learn something.
    Ruhi, I hear you there. Perhaps they could sell some of those shiny new PowerMatic tools they have there and use the $ for some acting lessons. Stiff doesn't begin to describe their performance.

FYI for those of you in the Kentucky area: I just got an email from KET (Kentucky Educational TV - the local PBS station) and they will begin airing Rough Cut on December 12th!!!

"Yanni, Master of the Pan Flute" ...
    If I remember my 80's trivia correctly, that was Zamfir, Master of the Pan Flute.

I think Yanni is some new age dude, but I flunked 90's trivia...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    Ruhi, I hear you there. Perhaps they could sell some of those shiny new PowerMatic tools they have there and use the $ for some acting lessons. Stiff doesn't begin to describe their performance.
    Try watching David Marks early episodes. I'm not looking for actors...I want somebody who works wood and Tommy Mac seems pretty in-tune with what I like to see.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Wow John, I'm not being argumentative at all, but I didn't see David as being stiff, not even in the early episodes. Maybe he polished it up a little bit and I couldn't see what you did, but I thought he had some pretty good oratory skills in front the of the camera.

I guess that's what makes the world go 'round and continue to keep spinning.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

DirecTV is not airing this show. The only woodworking show I get is Woodsmith Shop.
    I tried an OTA antenna once and got very little for reception, we are too far from most of the stations to get a good signal and I cant justify the expense of a nice large outdoor antenna with rotor to tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    Wow John, I'm not being argumentative at all, but I didn't see David as being stiff, not even in the early episodes. Maybe he polished it up a little bit and I couldn't see what you did, but I thought he had some pretty good oratory skills in front the of the camera.

I guess that's what makes the world go 'round and continue to keep spinning.

David
    I never in any way meant to seem argumentative. I do look forward to seeing them shape up and get more comfy with the camera.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Will not be shown in Houston either. Have emailed station several times with no response.

Apparently, they feel "Yanni, Master of the Pan Flute" is more appealing to the Houston audience...
    You're kidding, right?????? And NOW, by popular request, is a marathon of performances by Yanni, for the next 6 hours............. Just shoot me........

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post

David
    I would definatly count Marks as stiff, but he did loosen up with time. HOWEVER, he has something amazing to teach and it is very interesting despite the lack of personality in his performance. Woodsmith... not in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    I would definatly count Marks as stiff, but he did loosen up with time. HOWEVER, he has something amazing to teach and it is very interesting despite the lack of personality in his performance. Woodsmith... not in the same league.
    x 15,327

I do occasionally learn some decent things from woodsmith shop, but holy crap. The show is over-the-top cheesy... from the commentary to the mullets and the music. Every bit of it... so painful!

Not to rub it in, but I re-watched the first Rough Cut and I liked it even more. Still, it hurt. Anyone want to take a bet on the price of that flawless 12/4 piece of walnut? $500? $1000? Man!

I digress. A second time around it seemed less blazingly fast and I got some good advice on M&T was well as the spring joint. I don't think I have seen either dealt with the way he did on any show and I really think I learned something. There are two important techniques in a half hour show. Can you really ask for more? "Oh yea baby!"

However, the tenons on the end of the table top... I really wish he would have talked about that more! It was a mystery. At first I had no idea how he did them. Now I am guessing he cut the mortise in the end piece first. Then for the tenons he used a router with some type of edge guide, cutting from both top and bottom the entire width of the to out to the depth of the tenons. Then he cut out the individual sections with a hand saw?