Thread: bifold pocket doors

bifold pocket doors

4 door pocket doors- I am looking for hinges that connect the 2 center doors to the outside doors- I have used a black snap hinge from Lee Valley in the past-would like to know if there is something better out there. Thanks.

Check Hafele
    www dot hafele dot com /us

I'm a trim carpenter, and i have seen double pocket doors, basically 2 singles that meet in the middle, but i have never seen 4 slabs worth of pocket doors, in fact i cant see how they would really work well to be honest, but that doesnt mean i know everything, i would LOVE a picture of this if possible, also, do you custom build the pocket door frame? not that it is impossible, just not something i've ever seen.

Like i said, i would really like to see some pics. thanks, and good luck.

I did a set once a few years ago, but they were enormous. IIRC the opening was 72" wide and about 60" high. The doors were MDF with applied frame and mouldings. The outer frame made them thicker at the edges and gave the illusion of a "flat panel" door. They were just poplar because this was a painted piece going into a banquet room. All of that to say that they were rather heavy. The sections were attached to each other with piano hinges and rolled on Accu-ride track-type pocket door hinges.
    Unfortunately, I don't have great pictures of it though. I have one of it during construction in the shop and one of it mostly assembled "in-place", but the doors are not on it yet in that one. The drawers have no pulls, they have the "push" openers and the side units have glass shelves.

Ignore the electrician's foot hanging out of the ceiling.....LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

mystery solved, i was thinking you were talking about regular home interior pocket doors. Now that would be a feat to defy physics. cant help with your problem either though.

I forgot to add that if your doors are small/light enough, you could use simple barrel hinges. Or you step-up to a "Soss" type hinge.