Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A flintlock target pistol I made.G.Wilson

George, whenever I see a post of yours like this, before I even open it up to look at the images ... well, I take a deep breath in expectation. Now I did this last week when I last had a look at one of your posts, and I must now say that I forgot to exhale and then breath again. Of course I passed out. What do you expect - it is not sensible to hold one's breath for 7 days. But I am not sensible when I see your work. In part I hold you to blame (for showing it), and in part I must accept responsibility (for looking). But what is any red-blooded guy to do? Every time you post an image or two .. I risk brain damage. Is there a solution?

Regards from Perth

Derek (remembering to take slow, deep breaths once again)

George

I rush to every post you write because your craftsmanship inspires me. Your work teaches me humility. Just when I think I am getting pretty good, I view your posts and say "OK, I suck!". Often times you engage in heated spirited debates. Now that I know you are "packing" I will utilize more moderate temperament.

Exceptional knowledge and skill, as always.

George
    George Beck
    Fishers Laser Carvers

Phenomenal, amazing, incredible...

There are not enough superlatives to describe your work!

Thanks for sharing.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Agreed, agreed, agreed....just incredible. Truely a fine example of a flintlock, better than any i've seen made by reputable people. It just doesn't end with you George and absolutely feel blessed to be part of these pages on this forum. I never imagined I'd be witnessing one of the best and most diverse craftsman of our time. Just think of all the people on different forums that have no idea what they're missing over here. Truely inspirational George and I thank you.

You didn't make that.

Thumbs up More than just a pistol....

George said it took him about six months to make this pistol.

I'm a little older than George. When I see something like this, I like to try to see what isn't in the picture. It didn't take him only six months to build the pistol, it took him nearly a life time. He could not have produced what we see in the picture without having spent many many years learning each and every different skill required to make all the parts that come together and become the form that we see here. First he had to learn about and then learn to operate and use all the various machines and tools and processes that allowed him to make what we see.

When we think in terms of symbolism when we are presented with not only the pleasure of viewing such craftsmanship, but also, in this case, we have a rare opportunity to communicate with the person who accomplished it, we come to understand and appreciate more than what we see.

I think I'm safe in saying that George will agree that most anyone of us can do what he has done, but only if we had or will invest the time and energy and have the desire to gain the knowledge and skills and then take the time to practice and polish those skills to a level that can produce such a fine piece of work.

From a symbolic standpoint, what we see is not all of what we get.

Marv

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

Marv, I agree with you to a large extent and definately believe if any of us put in the effort and time to master woodworking or any other trade, as have George and Harry have, we would be much better at what we do than we are. However I also think that these gentlemen have innate artistic and mechanical apptitudes well beyond most people, and this along with thier dedication to their multiple trades puts them at the head of the class.
    To get this good you have to have the whole package, just like olympic gold metalists.

You are perfectly correct,Dan. In spite of endless hours and a LOT of commitment,I could never become Andres Segovia. Only could become competent. Not great at the guitar. Never could become a DECENT basketball player,either(not that I wanted to),but had good height.

This is just what clicked for me. I taught at least 22 people as apprentices in Wmsbg.,with varying degrees of success,and many others elsewhere. Some few became competent craftsmen,but I never could teach any of them to draw,or design if they weren't already good at it when they got with me. If it just wasn't there,it didn't happen.

George, as always simply amazed.

I do have a question, is there anything that you have always wanted to build that you haven't gotten around to? The breadth of your talents makes me wonder what if anything is still lurking around only in your mind.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I'm thinking about a reply to your question,Van.

George, I don't get back over in the Neander Haven often anymore, and I nearly missed this thread!! This is a beautiful piece of work. Having built several flintlock rifles, but using locks, barrels, etc. supplied by others, I can appreciate the incredible craftsmanship that went into this piece! Thanks, for posting this one!

Van,there are several things I would be interested in making,though at this stage I'm not sure I will get to them.

Some of the smaller projects are: building a fine,percussion English sporting rifle. I have wanted to do that for some time. There are always other jobs that get in my way.

Building certain rare models of guitars are also on the list,though to a mostly non guitar playing group,I won't list them. Too esoteric,anyway.

Building a sports car would be great,though I will never do that. I can't stand working with smelly fiberglass, and the workers upstairs would hardly like it either. Nor do I have the sheet metal forming skills to avoid the fiberglass,nor that type equipment. Nor do I have a place to park it. Garages have always been too valuable a space to waste parking cars in it!!

Actually,there are many things I would like to do,but for aches,pains,and energy at this stage. I still carry on with some of the recent types of work I posted last month.
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-20-2010 at 12:47 PM.

George I love the pistol. One of my avocations is restoring old English shotguns. I know a little about London lockwork having two bar in wood Purdeys and numerous other London guns.

I have never seen a decorated mainspring. Purdey doesn't do it, neither does Holland, Boss etc. I sure am glad. I have had to make many, and if I had to make them like yours I would still be working on the first one.

Keep up the slide show.

Bill Johnson
    Wichta KS

George, beautiful work!

In reference to the slides of other work...I transferred some slides I took in 1970-71 to digital and they indeed do suffer from some grain and loss of detail. I used a commercially available slide scanner that was very affordable so the quality of the equipment may have contributed to the degradation. That said, I would love to see them even if some loss of detail was included in the deal!
    Joe

William,they decorated lock springs maybe as late as the very early 19th.C.,I am not sure of dates on that. They did in the 18th. C and before,only on higher class work,of course.

It isn't very hard to decorate them. The hardest part(for me) is forging them right in the first place,and filing and polishing. Had a few blow up violently from having some defect in the forging or tempering!

Joe,I need to get my hundreds of slides pared down to those I want digitized,and have it professionally done. My wife ran the darkroom at Williamsburg for a few years,and got quite a good image education,but she's always too busy with the business(jewelry) and walking the dogs to get involved with this big a job.
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-20-2010 at 12:56 PM.