Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid wood panels and tops - limits without big machinery

Solid wood panels and tops - limits without big machinery

I would like to do some projects that have larger solid panels, and by larger I mean something like 42 x 42 inches. Heck, maybe larger. Glued up boards. There are some Stickley pieces I want to tackle, one of them a table.

The tools to be used are pipe clamps, hand planes, scrapers, a belt sander, and a random orbit sander. I have what it takes for prepping boards for the glueups: a good 6" jointer and a 12" planer.

I attack a freshly glued up panel first with a big jack plane, running across at maybe a 45 degree angle, to get rid of lippage. Then I will turn and look for the hills and try to deal with them with the jack and then follow with bench-sized planes. Then comes some scraping. After that, it is belt-sanding time, and lastly some work with the ROS.

I would like to get better flatness and wonder if there is one tool I am missing. Would one of the larger Festool ROS units be the ticket? Like the Rotex RO 150?

Better Flatness? With a ROS? Not likely. Its a small diameter tool that follows the lay of the boards you have assembled. Maybe you can level the corners of a door frame with 2" stiles, but not a table top. Oh, you can keep sanding until the ridges are gone, but thats not really flat. Best approach is to flatten the boards before glue up, thickness them precisely, and use cauls to maintain the best alignment possible. This will reduce much of the surface prep of the larger top and give you a flatter final result. I'd rather flatten 5 boards with a hand plane than a single 40"+ wide table glued up from boards whose grain goes in various directions and whose center is much harder to reach. If you want flat from hand tools you may want a much larger plane than a jack, perhaps a fore plane or jointer.

Two words - - - router sled.

Check it out.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I'm with Peter on this one. Mill your boards prior to glue up and follow good panel assembly practices to assure a flat panel (there's lots of stuff on this on the web or in the magazines). If alignment is a challenge even following best practices, splines or glue-profile routed edges may help. When I glue up panels (at ounce or in stages for larger panels), unless something goes very wrong, a few swipes with a card scraper brings everything into line for things of an Arts and Crafts nature.

If you are going for that mirror finish that some styles use, the approach is different. Still, a hand held power sander is not your friend when it comes to flattening anything. Smoothing, yes. flattening, no. Try some small panels using square milled stock and clamping methods shown here and there. I think you'll be encouraged.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...-glue-ups.aspx
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...great-glue-ups
    http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blo...anel-glue-ups/
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Finish your work with a jointer plane, and set the cap iron on it properly to remove tearout. It should leave a very vivid finish on the surface with no tearout. If it doesn't get completely tearout free, set a smoother plane with it very close and take a set or two of through strokes.

There should be no hills or valleys if you can work your way across the table top making continuous shavings with your smoothing plane. If you have trouble getting the setup so that there are no lines (camber should eliminate them), you can do some light scraping.

I would forget about the sanding and all of that stuff, it's taking the life right out of the finished surface and not saving you any time (it's costing you a lot of time). Use a straight edge with your jack plane to eliminate creating large valleys where it's unnecessary. That should make the jointer and smoother step just somewhat routine work.

Thanks to all. Yes, I know the importance of stock prep in the pre-glueup stage, and I try my best. Begin with rough lumber, joint one face flat, check with winding sticks, joint more if required to gain flatness. Then through the surface planer, working all the boards for the glueup as a batch, zeroing in on the final thickness with very light passes. I have always used a digital caliper when doing this stock prep.

Then edge jointing, doing all that is needed to joint to 90. Then biscuits to hold alignment when gluing. Clamps, cauls, all that stuff.

That Festool ROS cost would buy two or three very nice hand planes, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Thanks to all. Yes, I know the importance of stock prep in the pre-glueup stage, and I try my best. Begin with rough lumber, joint one face flat, check with winding sticks, joint more if required to gain flatness. Then through the surface planer, working all the boards for the glueup as a batch, zeroing in on the final thickness with very light passes. I have always used a digital caliper when doing this stock prep.

Then edge jointing, doing all that is needed to joint to 90. Then biscuits to hold alignment when gluing. Clamps, cauls, all that stuff.

Hi Gene, my first suggestion would be to stop using the biscuit joiner.

They add no strength to the glue up, and reduce accuracy in the glue up compared to setting all the boards level using your finger to feel differences.

Another trick is to joint adjacent pieces using the opposit face so that if your jointer is 89.87 degrees, it balances out in the glue ep.

I only use a scaping plane for final flattening, if anything more than a cabinet scraper by hand won't suffice............Rod.

That Festool ROS cost would buy two or three very nice hand planes, wouldn't it?

That Festool ROS cost would buy two or three very nice hand planes, wouldn't it?[/QUOTE

They add no strength to the glue up, and reduce accuracy in the glue up compared to setting all the boards level using your finger to feel differences.

Another trick is to joint adjacent pieces using the opposit face so that if your jointer is 89.87 degrees, it balances out in the glue ep.

I only use a scaping plane for final flattening, if anything more than a cabinet scraper by hand won't suffice............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post

I attack a freshly glued up panel first with a big jack plane, running across at maybe a 45 degree angle, to get rid of lippage. Then I will turn and look for the hills and try to deal with them with the jack and then follow with bench-sized planes. Then comes some scraping. After that, it is belt-sanding time, and lastly some work with the ROS.
    If you need to follow your hand planes with a belt sander, something is seriously wrong with your planing setup. A properly tuned and sharpened plane will give you a finish that no ROS can match.

Life is easy with a wide belt sander. Find a local shop that has one and pay them to flatten your glued up table tops. Sure you can do it by hand, but I have better things to do with my time. If you want to be cheap, use a router sled, as mentioned. And it's hogwash that you can't get the same clarity with a sanded surface as you get with one that's been hand planed. Actually, it's true - until you apply the finish.

John

A simple but costly answer to your issue is to match the width of your jointer and planer. Properly flattened and planed boards will be easy to glue up with only a little clean up necessary after. If you keep a straight edge handy when gluing up you can check often to see you've got the boards even and level. A good thing to remember in a lot of what you will do in woodworking there is a time and place for precision. Try to learn when and where it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Life is easy with a wide belt sander. Find a local shop that has one and pay them to flatten your glued up table tops. Sure you can do it by hand, but I have better things to do with my time. If you want to be cheap, use a router sled, as mentioned. And it's hogwash that you can't get the same clarity with a sanded surface as you get with one that's been hand planed. Actually, it's true - until you apply the finish.

John
    If I glue up a large panel and do a decent job of aligning the edges, it will take me half an hour to flatten it with a jointer plane. Maybe 45 minutes on a bad day. So, in the time it takes you to pack that slab in your truck, haul it to the cabinet shop, pay them your hard earned money, pack it carefully back in the truck and drive home, I'm already done and drinking a beer.
    Same problem with a router sled. It's painfully slow, takes time to set up, and leaves a wretched finish that is going to need to be planed or sanded. You would only do it that way if you lacked the skill to use a plane.
    And no, it's not hogwash that a planed surface can, if done well, have superior clarity to a sanded surface.

If you have good hand planes and skills to do it, I bet you will get there quickly through that option. If not and you are not willing to invest the time to develop the skills I don't think there is anything wrong with taking it to a cabinet shop with a wide belt sander. I have never done that, but don't see anything wrong with the idea.

The most simple solution to your need is to become skilled at gluing up the panels. If there is anything you need it would be better clamps. Pipe clamps are too flexible for the task. The aluminum ones that Lee Valley now sells are dandy for the task. I know the family that originally made them and they sold them into furniture factories. They are that robust. Anyway, I digress.......

With a bit of practice it is not hard to make one joint at a time near perfect. Until you get better at it, just glue one joint at a time rather than the whole panel. Strive for near perfect alignment along the joint by carefully coaxing the joint into alignment as you tighten the clamps. Some start at the middle and work out while others start at one end and work to the other. Practice

I guess good support arrangements for working a large solid top are advisable as well….

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    That Festool ROS cost would buy two or three very nice hand planes, wouldn't it?[/QUOTE

Rod.
    Rod, that's exactly the conclusion I've come to as well.....using fingers to feel differences while slowly tightening clamps. I've found that tapping a slightly-out-of-alignment joint with a rubber dead hammer works well too if there's too much glue surface tension to squeeze flat with fingers.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.