Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you line up the drawer knobs on a dresser?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Question How do you line up the drawer knobs on a dresser?

I just finished a dresser with 4 drawers. Each drawer had two knobs on it to pull the drawer out. I spent hours measuring & placing the knobs so they would all line up beneath each other & at the same height on the drawer. It came out OK but I'm just wondering if there is an easier way to do this?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Dennis, that's the way I done it on my last on.I just measured over about 6" and up to the middle of the drawer. Put a mark,drill a hole and add the knob.
    Donny

One thing I do when locating knobs is to put a brick in every drawer to make sure they are as they would be when loaded.

On identical sized drawers where I want the knob spacing to be the same, I take some scrap plywood and make jigs for drilling the holes. It eliminates mistakes in measuring, marking and drilling.

I do the same for doors.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A piece of peg-board with a scrap wood "fence" can make for a nice drawer handle/knob jig!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    On identical sized drawers where I want the knob spacing to be the same, I take some scrap plywood and make jigs for drilling the holes. It eliminates mistakes in measuring, marking and drilling.

I do the same for doors.
    +1, I use jigs wherever possible, I don't trust repeated measurements.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

I do the same for doors.
    That's what I did recently when I added knobs to a knobless kitchen after I repainted the cainets.

jig to set knob location

I have used Sommerfeld's tools for wood "the easy mark jig" for a complete kitchen drawers and doors call 888-228-9268. Jim Gerus

Smile

This is the website for above post Jim
    http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/

I just mounted pulls on a dresser/linen cabinet yesterday with a new tool

Took me 10 minutes to go from deciding where to put them to having all the holes drilled perfectly. I didn't even need a pencil.

Goodbye shop built jigs, measuring twice, combo squares and horsing around.

http://www.amazon.com/True-Position-.../dp/B003E46SVO

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 10-08-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post

Took me 10 minutes to go from deciding where to put them to having all the holes drilled perfectly. I didn't even need a pencil.

-Steve
    That's a great tool but crazy expensive. Maybe they can donate one for the tool giveaways?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    That's a great tool but crazy expensive. Maybe they can donate one for the tool giveaways?
    Yep, it really hurt to shell out so much for this. It's a very high quality product, and needs to be. But for the rest of my woodworking life I will never make a jig or pencil and tape measure or even set up a drill press for knobs.

You are right though, it's a perfect gift. It's just a delight to use.

-Steve

I just load the drawers in the carcase and decide whether I'm going for 1 or 2 pulls and figure out center measurement if 1, or inset from end measure if 2. I lightly pencil those marks on the top edge of the top drawer and bottom edge of the bottom drawer and stretch a strip of tape up all the drawers from top to bottom roughly centered on those marks. Then I do a dark pencil line up the tape using a straightedge lined up on the top and bottom marks. To get the height on each drawer I lay the straightedge diagonally on the drawer corners and pencil lines onto the tape where the SE crosses the vertical line. Then I grab my birdcage awl to mark the drill center points and start drilling.
    Use the fence Luke

This jig works well, fast setup, durable and works for almost all situations I've run across. It flips over to go left or right.

I normally just use the jig to locate the centers with a tap of a turning bit then finish the bore "freehand" while holding (or clamping) a backer board to prevent blowout inside the door or drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post

-Steve
    Uh, for that much money that thing should drill and mount the hardware on its own. I seriously thought for 20 or 25 bucks that would be kind of a waste of money since a scrap piece of wood is free but it would be handy to have. I almost did a spit take all over my computer when the price came up.