Thread: Super glue and box joints

Super glue and box joints

Hi...do any of you have any experience in using (just) super glue to glue box joints by capillary action? It occurred to me this might work...so I tried it and got great results. I am wondering though...if this joint will last. It is a customer job and I don't want the joints to fail. Thank you all for any answers!

Lynn

You should be good to go. I have built wall clocks with Gorilla Super Glue with no problem. BUT.... I use a 23ga brad to hold things together as it drys.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

You can use CA (superglue) "Hot Stuff" red bottle from woodcraft or the like. It will work but only moderately well. The joint will also not take a finish very well.

I built a radio control tunnel hull boat using CA glue, many years ago. Darned thing was really strong. The only place I used epoxy was the transom/motor mount.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've done it, but I've applied it with an applicator brush rather than counting on capillary action.

CA glue (superglue) will eventually degrade and fail. How long will it last?... probably somewhere around 10 years.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.