Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk bandsaw blades!

Mark Duginske posted a number of times here a few years ago in reference to blades and tension. There is some good info in them, and he slaughters a few sacred cows in the process. You could search for his posts and get some additional info. In general I think Van has provided a very good summary of the issues, but Mark's posts may provide some additional details.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    Mark Duginske and he slaughters a few sacred cows in the process. .
    And he took a beating for some, based on his posts probably the reason he no longer posts here or elsewhere. I also agree that his posts are certainly worth a read, maybe more than once.

Van,
    This wasn't an easy search actually, so thought I'd add it to your thread for others:
    my Agazzani B-20 says it can take a blade length of 4.14 m max, to 4.06 m min. In inches, that's 162.99 " to 159.84". I'm going to say 160"-163" so I can remember it. Now, if I'm ordering a new blade from Highland for it, what actually is the best length to get? Does everything in the range fit easily, or do I want to stay shortish so there's lots of tension range left?

What custom length should I order?
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I've always ordered them at 161 inches for mine. This was the length listed in the Eagle Tools for a long time until they changed the site. You might give them a call, www.eagle-tools.com.

5. Thanks for posting those information, Van!

Old thread but great stuff. I just got an old Delta 14" 3/4 hp 28-203 in great shape. Can it run the 5/8" resaw blade or should I stick to 1/2"?

Jim, Everything I've read and heard anecdotally says stick with the 1/2" for a 14" saw. Per Van's recommendations I just ordered a 1/4" Diemaster II and a 1/2" Kerfmaster (.022 thick) for my Jet 14" (with riser).

Quote Originally Posted by JimT Thompson View Post
    Old thread but great stuff. I just got an old Delta 14" 3/4 hp 28-203 in great shape. Can it run the 5/8" resaw blade or should I stick to 1/2"?

Jim, sorry I missed replying earlier. As Charlie said staying with 1/2" max is prudent for the Delta 14" and its clones. Not saying people haven't gotten decent results with wider blades on those saws but a lot of people have bent or broken the tracking arm trying...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hi Van, thanks for making our education on the subject. I plan on buying a General 490 15 inch all cast iron band saw. Made in Canada, not imported.

Would you stick with a 1/2 inch max width blade with this saw?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-24-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: remove link to other forum which violates the TOSs

Oh man, I saw Vans name and clicked on the link without even noticing it was an old thread...I got so excited thinking that Van had returned! Not so...no I'm glum.

Has anybody tried the carbide tipped Haltbar CT1001 or CT1002 from sawblade.com?

I wonder how these compare to other carbide tipped blades, they seem to be considerably less expensive.

Haltbar CT 1002.jpg TM.JPG
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

I know this is an old thread to bump but man was it helpful for me! I just took delivery of a Hammer N4400 and knew I wanted to go with Lenox blades but what to get and why was the trick I still needed to figure out. This thread was an immense help and I know have a much better idea of what I need to order for what I want to do. Thank you for taking the time to make this thread!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Ousterhout View Post
    I am a novice to the bandsaw and really appreciate all the information here... and the time it took for you to write out the details.

I have a 14" Delta with a riser. How do I know what tension I can/should use? Is this saw in the category of "Cast Clone"?

I calculated the length of the blade that was on the saw that I need to replace and it seems it was 106", but you reference that it should be the standard 105", so I am a little confused? Is it possible that the previous owner put a 106" blade on the saw? Perhaps I calculated the length wrong, (Pi*D) plus 2 times the distance between the wheel centers(31")?
    Dean, I had a Powermatic 14 inch with riser block and the specs called for 105 inch blade. Yes, they would fit, technically. But man were they hard to take on and off. A 106 inch blade would have made life much easier on that particular saw. I've since sold and upgraded to a Laguna LT16HD, and blade changing is a dream on that machine. YMMV

I remember reading this thread a long time ago and realizing then just how good the information that Van and others provided in the thread was and would be when I got around to buying blades for my bandsaw. I just reread it today and am still impressed with it. IMHO, this thread is one of the all-time great informational threads here on SMC and I'd like to nominate it for "sticky" status.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Great thread, thank you for sharing so much!

I have been recently been working on some harvested acacia logs, which were showing >29% RH months after cutting -- psst, that's green, wet wood, hehehe. Initially, I got help cutting these from a friend with a Chinese Laguna 14" and running what appeared to be a 1/2" bimetal 3-4tpi blade. Things went pretty well, but it was tough getting straight slabs off the 11" logs.

I got it slabbed down enough to be able to fit it onto my Italian Laguna LT-16, whereupon I went at it with Highland's 5/8" Woodslicer, their recommendation for green wood. The blade seemed to work okay, but it gummed up pretty severely and smoked a lot, although the blade itself stayed cool to the touch; I also struggled to get straight cuts even though I bumped the tension from the factory suggestion for 5/8" up to that for the 3/4" blades.

Any suggestions for how to keep the gumming up under control and how to get straighter cuts? The larger question seems to be steps I can take to increase the blade tension on this particular saw, as it can run >1" blades, yes it came with the big carbide Laguna Woodslicer (lucky me!).

TIA,
    Bradley