Thread: Painting Oak Kitchen Cabinets

Painting Oak Kitchen Cabinets

I'm remodeling a kitchen and am planning to paint the existing stained oak cabinets with HVLP sprayed General Finishes Enduro Poly, tinted white. I'm looking at Sherwood Wood Filler D70T1 to hide the oak grain. Does anyone have experience with this product on oak? The oak I'm working with has not only small pores to fill but it also has a "wavy" aspect between the light and dark grain patterns which I want to fill. At a minimum I'd like to save the carcases and face frames; if the raised panel doors proved impossible to fill then I'll make new maple paint grade doors.

Any recommendations on filler type & technique?

Thanks
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Do you happen to know what the original finish is? Have the cabinets ever been waxed, pledged, or otherwise spit polished? You may want to prime them, fill the pores, sand smooth, prime them again, then paint.

Blog Entries

Unhappy

I threw up a little when I read you were painting hardwood

Along the lines of what Josiah said, I would sand them, then clean them before even priming them. People clean their cabinets with all sorts of finish-unfriendly products that leave behind a residue. Often, the culprit is a silicone-based product, one of the worst offenders.
    Last edited by Jason Roehl; 10-11-2010 at 7:36 PM. Reason: Added comma...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    I threw up a little when I read you were painting hardwood

LOL! Hey, it's only red oak not exactly the Holy Grail of hardwoods! Besides not my choice: customer is tired of oak and wants them painted white.

PS: try Pepto Bismol
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Drywall spackel is a great filler for under paint.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Joe, are you referring to joint compound?
    Scott Vroom