Thread: Mini gloat.

Talking Mini gloat.

I was in the Hartford, Connecticut area for a meeting and took a drive up to Bad Dog Burls (about an hour to the North in Mass.). What an amazing selection of burled wood and Rob Doyle the owner was a great host allowing me to look through all the wood. Much of the burl comes from Australia but he also has box elder, buckeye, maple, and other North American species. I picked up enough to fill a USPS priority mail box (didn't want another checked bag to fly home with). The pieces in the photo will probably end up in some segmented bowls. Needless to say a fun day look a fancy wood.

In the photo are red mallee, gaint mallee, a black ash burl board, and some extra pieces that Rob stuffed the box with. Also a banksai pod.

http://www.burlsource.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Looks like a nice collection of wood.
    Donny

Great looking stuff you got there! There's nothing like beautiful burl.

Those will look great in the right segmented piece! Nice haul.

Wow - Great Falls to Hartford? Now that's a road trip!

Congrats on all the beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Always looking for wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Wow - Great Falls to Hartford? Now that's a road trip!

Congrats on all the beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!
    Steve:

When I travel for work, I usually look at Woodfinder.com before I go to see if there are speciality and/or sawmills in the area. I like to go to the source if I can. As you know the hardwood stores only stock what sells, sometimes the mills and other places have very unique stuff. The black ash burls were huge at Bad Dog Burl, I had never seen or heard of them.

Randy
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Well, that nice that you can combine business with what's important!!

Nice looking wood! Should make for some beautiful turnings!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congrats on some beautiful burl wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Randy, could you tell me what is the name of the burl standing on the far left of your picture.
    I have a really big one here which I bought from Tasmania with plenty other burls (don't ask me what I paid for transport, would my finance minister be aware she would have the government resign) but I cant remember the name.
    In addition it looks like it's plenty of voids, all the black "veins" seem not to be compact.

Gaint mallee

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Arragon View Post
    Randy, could you tell me what is the name of the burl standing on the far left of your picture.
    I have a really big one here which I bought from Tasmania with plenty other burls (don't ask me what I paid for transport, would my finance minister be aware she would have the government resign) but I cant remember the name.
    In addition it looks like it's plenty of voids, all the black "veins" seem not to be compact.
    Claude:

My invoice says gaint mallee, however, I am not an expert on Australia burl, so for proper id, send it to me. LOL!

Randy
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country