Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood combinations- what say you?

1. I will say this............this particular thread is a great one! Very insightful opinions from all who have posted, so far. Some great points on the aging patina of woods as well.

Sean, that is an exquisite piece of cabinetry you have shown to demonstrate different wood variances/colorings. I know this is a spinny round section of SMC, but I cannot help but appreciate good craftsmanship, even if it is flatwork!

To all, great posts, and opinions!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have to back Sean on this. Yes...there are some old favorites, but when has a project been dictated by color unless by customer request? John had an amazing blue big leaf maple project a few days ago. Who says you can't do that? Make it and see what happens!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I think most contrasting woods look okay, some better than others per personal taste. Where I see problems is the use without any coordinating concept or balance between.....say a box of 1 color, a lid of a contrasing wood, and a 3rd for a finial.... I don't get that...It's just me I'm sure but I don't see any resolution or closure, or cohesiveness or whatever it is I like to see. I think "what" is the piece being made for, "who" is it made for, and as mentioned...what will it look for down the road?
    just my .02

Sean,
    Very nice wood combination.

Blog Entries
    Bloodwood or Paduak or Purple Heart with maple and Wenge/Blackwood/Ebony
    Have a Nice Day!

LOML says i dress like Rodney Dangerfield so I should reframe from this conversation

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Jim, since my comment on another thread may have 'stirred' this interest on your part I will respond with this. It think all too often we look at woods in their present state, and they appear to coordinate very well. However, most all woods change dramatically in color over time. It takes some knowledge and experience with that in order to predict what the combination will look like 2, 3 or 5 years down the road. The walnut/cherry is just one instance of that. Another might be Osage Orange paired up with walnut - today, they might look OK together (not my pick, but not bad.) 3 years from now, the OO will have mellowed into a brown, while the walnut is getting an amber hue.

All that said, walnut/maple were created to be together!!! Particularly, curly maple and walnut!

Also, BLM burl/walnut do very well together.

And, to add to your Mom's advice, black goes with nearly anything as well.

with me beening POOR as dirt i use osage and walnut alot on my calls.

Should, should not? Who says? Sometimes ideas get passed along & they are pure bunk. I have a GORGEOUS Cherry / Walnut stepback hutch and another smaller cabinet I made from those woods over 20 yrs ago. They have done nothing but improve their looks over the years. Rules, Pshaw!

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    Rules, Pshaw!
    That's the trouble with you free thinking artistic types - just won't be constrained!!!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    Should, should not? Who says? Sometimes ideas get passed along & they are pure bunk. I have a GORGEOUS Cherry / Walnut stepback hutch and another smaller cabinet I made from those woods over 20 yrs ago. They have done nothing but improve their looks over the years. Rules, Pshaw!

You go girl!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Woods with same color tones or stark contrast

For my 2 cents worth I try to look at the woods and no matter what type it is there are many times different colors and shades or tones in each type of wood. Also in many woods the sapwood has a stark contrast to the heartwood. I try to keep the woods that will be placed together within the same color with any accents being in a stark contrast to those. This is why ebony, blackwood and ebonized finials always work well with woods that are lighter and Holly and maple go well with the darker woods.

I guess the whole process is determined by each turners perception of what works in their eyes, I have seen some combos that just clash terribly and others that blend the tones and grain structures perfectly. Some pieces could be enhanced with small veneers of the "Black and White" to let the eye see it as a whole and as almost 2 separte entities that complement each other. I guess that is why I have hundreds of almost finished pieces just waiting for me to find the right piece of wood for a lid, base or finial. I hate to rush my own perception of perfection!

The great thing about wood is that you can change things along the way if it does not work at the time, and all of the proto-types can be used later for a turning that is longing for that special part.

No rules but trial and error! Just enjoy and test the waters.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Personally, I'm not able to make a judgment about this. I think it's piece-specific.

My favorite is probably (walnut and maple) or (walnut and qswo).

I was thinking about this subject in the wee hours of the morning since I couldn't sleep....

I remembered Dick Sing's advice about making box top inserts. He doesn't like high contrast between his box and the inserts. He tries to pick a similar colored wood for the insert, and uses a contrasting wood for the thin border around the insert.

Just for example, let's say the box is made from cherry, and the insert is made from something like plum or peach. The insert's thin border would be made from something like maple/holly, or walnut/ebony.

I've seen high constrasting inserts that looked great, and others that just didn't work at all. I can imagine it's the same with low contrast inserts...

Myself, I try to choose something highly figured or heavily spalted for inserts. I've got some spalted Dogwood that is spectacular for such use. One of my favorite boxes is made from ornamental Plum, with a spalted Dogwood insert.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain