Thread: 1st Time Finishing - Painted Project

1st Time Finishing - Painted Project

So I have been threatening my wife that I would build an entertainment center for my first project and after a year of buying tools I jumped in feet first this weekend. It consists of two 33" wide book cases on of a base cabinet with doors and the center is a 60" wide tv cabinet on top of two 30" wide base cabinets with doors. We wanted to make it white to match our trim, but now my wife wants to know if I can glaze it to highlight the details. What I need to know is how do I do this? Sand. Prime with what? Sand? Finish with what? Glaze with what? I originally intended to do this by hand, buy a sprayer may be best? I am open to suggestions and questions. Please help. Thanks in advance.

First piece of advise...don't use latex paint. Use a 100% acrylic (Sherwin Williams ProClassic or similar) paint if your are brushing or tinted Target Coatings EM6000 or similar if spraying. These finishes will not be "blocking"....stuff will not stick to the paint when you set them on it...and flow out to a nice finish. (The SW product has "latex" on the label, but it's not latex house paint)

In order for folks to help around the glazing question, there needs to be more information from you about what kind of effect you, err....your wife...wants to achieve. And glazes are most effective on pieces that have enough detail to capture some of the glaze as you wipe it on and then wipe it off. So please describe your project ( and/or provide some photos) so we know what you're working with.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Center06 Iso.pdf

Center06 Door Proposed with Finish.jpg

Center06 Boxes Made.jpg

Here are some pictures of where I am. The boxes are built and I am working out the trim details. I plan to order the doors, since I do not have the right tools to make them. They will overlay by 3/4". This is also the finish we are aiming for. The PDF shows the center as planned without trim details (crown, edge detail at counter, and base). I plan on using fluted stiles instead on the upper units. My conerns are what steps should I take to gurantee the finish is good. Unless their is an enexpensive sprayer option, I will be rolling and brushing. My current thought is to use sand, prime with Zinsser 1-2-3, sand, paint with the SW product you mentioned (I used it prev. to paint a dresser), and glaze. I guess my questions are:
    1. Am I on the right track?
    2. What sheen should be used (semi, satin)?
    3. What glaze? Color? Does the glaze only get applied to the items with details or all surfaces?
    4. Should I drill the holes for shelves before or after finish?
    5. Any other suggestions?
    6. Would I be better to buy a HPLV sprayer like Rockler's or HF's and use Target Coating's products? Which is option is more forgiving?
    Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by don kellog; 10-13-2010 at 11:16 AM.

On something white, a glaze would typically be something in the brown or gold tone to highlight the "nooks and crannies" of the contours on your doors, etc. You'll likely want to make this highlighting compatible with the room colors and other decorative items...harmony is nice.

I'm an obvious fan of Target Coatings products...it's my finish of choice. If you're going to spray, that would be my personal choice. And you can get EM6000 in white, I believe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...