Thread: Corian Dining Hall Sign

Corian Dining Hall Sign

This sign required me to make a template prior to starting fabrication so I could come up with a hanger that would compensate for the arch. I used a large piece of foam board and traced the arc back to the column edge so I could use it to make sure that everything remained level. In spite of my planning I still had to do some adjustment to the hanger when I installed it and change out one of the screws to help level the short side. Oh Well

The 14" by 22" oval sign is made from Corian, CNC machined and paint filled. The hanger is one inch wide by 1/8" thick flat bar. Both of the scroll ends were bent with the same bender then the arch was rolled on another machine. Once the shape was complete I laid the hanger and the sign down on top of the template to mark the holes to be drilled both in the hanger and the Corian sign. The Corian was drilled and tapped for 10-24 brass screws.

You can purchase a set of scroll benders from Grizzly for about $155.00 so the cost to add scroll hangers to your sign shop is very inexpensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-14-2010 at 6:27 AM.

Once again Keith another nice sign and setup.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Mick,

I enjoy these projects when they come up because they provide a brief distraction from the day to day work. I have another Healthy Haven sign I am working on for another Dining Hall and two cherry oval signs that will be my first gold leaf projects. Once these are complete I have 600 door signs to make for two active construction projects.

I would like to be able to do more bending work for the signs I make, it adds something to a job that is very enjoyable that people seem to appreciate.

I just checked Grizzly the online and found this http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5502/images/0 do you heat the metal first or just bend it cold. I think it really gives your sign the personal touch.

Mick

Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Mick,

That's the one! You can do a lot of hangers with just these three tools.

You can also purchase benders from MetalCraft, visit their web site and look at the wide variety of benders they sell but take heed of their prices. MetalCraft has some decent video's on their site that show you how easy it is to start bending.

Harbor Freight also sells a couple decent benders and rollers that are very reasonably priced.

All of the bending I do is done cold, I don't own an oxyacetylene rig as I haven't had the need for one.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-15-2010 at 6:39 AM.