Thread: 220V extension cord

220V extension cord

I'm still in the process of laying out my shop and I was thinking to have someone hook-up a 220V outlet near the electrical panel. This would allow me to run an extension cord to my planer and shaper just until I finish organizing the shop. I would imagine the cord would be about 20 feet. Is this something you guys think would be OK?

Go right ahead.

I have been doing that for 20 years. I am slow to get organized.

Blog Entries
    I did as you describe till I had things where I wanted them. The cord came in helpful several times later on until it finally had one end removed and became the power cord for my new planer. Nothing wrong with it as long as you stay in spec.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought a 100ft heavy duty cord from Home Depo and cut out sections for two 220v cords - one with twist lock ends for the machines and another with ends for an electric heater that I use in various spots during the winter.

I used the ends that came with the cord to make two heavy 110v extensions for the shop - just bought a new plug and receptacle.

It was cheaper to purchase the extension cord then to purchase just the wire - and a 100ft is not much more than the 50ft.

And ....... I had plenty left over to wire my new bandsaw!

I run an extension made from bulk wire sold by the foot to a 15" planer. Opted for the bulk wire as it is a very visible bright yellow color and one wire gauge higher than required. My reasoning was that the 15” planer could run under a heavy load -- 12” + boards -- and possibly run for an extended period.

The only advice I offer is fabricate from the appropriate wire gauge and as one other posted stated, install twist lock plug and receptacle. They are not exactly cheap, but they don’t come apart and are made for “industrial usage“.

I haven’t bought any wire or bulk cable in some time, so I can’t really say which would be cheaper: a prefabricated cord or making one up from bulk wire sold by the foot.

I bought a 12 awg 25' extension cord, cut off both ends and put on 220's plugs and it works great on both my table saw and planer.........

ha, thanks all that is a great idea of using a heavy duty extension cord and just replace the ends. I will try that

I bought one of the heavy-duty cord reels from Rockler, cut off the 110V ends and installed 220V ends. Works great for the Sawstop.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...er=cord%20reel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Hendrix; 10-16-2010 at 8:17 PM.

I would second the bulk wire method. Mine is 6-3 w/ground and has a 4x4 box at the end with appropriate receptacle. I run a 5 HP planer or my welder on it with no problems. The cord weighs a bit (probably 30 lbs) but it will handle anything I throw at it. My dad has a 100 ft version that literally has its own dolly to ride on. But hey, when you need to run the welder out at the farm you need some flexibility.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hendrix View Post
    I bought one of the heavy-duty cord reels from Rockler, cut off the 110V ends and installed 220V ends. Works great for the Sawstop.
    It's a good idea to fully unwind the cord when in use...coiled wire can heat up faster when loads get "up there". A friend and fellow-'Creeker has pictorial evidence of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hellmer View Post
    I would second the bulk wire method.
    Me, too...I buy the rubber coated 10-3 or 12-3 gage wire for this purpose (these are three conductor, not four conductor in this format) and install quality terminations.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool

i bought the rockler hose real while ago. think the mounting bracket is kind of flimsey but works ok. i guess like things to work good but look good in my shop.

I have two 30' 10-3 extension cords in the shop for 230v equipment. Those can power the arc welder outside, 5hp 20" planer inside, or any lesser machine in between.

12ga. ext. cords mentioned are good for a 230v 2hp motor IF the cord is not too long. Don't skimp on wire size. Bump it up to 10ga. with 30A connectors--just in case. My standard plug is L6-30 Twistlock. I made an adapter so I can use the welding extension for woodworking.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 10-23-2010 at 10:01 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!