Thread: Fort Payne, Alabama

Smile Fort Payne, Alabama

Hello . . .

Any chance we have any members from Fort Payne, Alabama area?

Still looking for that place to move too after soon to come "forced" early retirement.

I understand land and houses are less expensive in the area.

Any info on the area would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

I live about 1 1/2 hours away from there. I can't answer your question, but the prices there may be affected by Huntsville's growth due to Brac transfers. To be sure, check with realtors in the Fort Payne area. I am sure that they can help you more than any advice that I can give you.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

Smile I appreciate the heads up . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Giersberg View Post
    I live about 1 1/2 hours away from there. I can't answer your question, but the prices there may be affected by Huntsville's growth due to Brac transfers. To be sure, check with realtors in the Fort Payne area. I am sure that they can help you more than any advice that I can give you.

Regards, Colin
    I appreciate the heads up . . . I have been looking at the real estate prices for a couple weeks now. Currently in contact with an established realty firm. The prices look very appealing to me since I would be coming from Louisiana where prices/values are low. I don't "think" BRAC will affect the prices in the towns/valley due to the commute distance from Fort Payne to Huntsville. Although I can see where BRAC could drive up the price of resort property rather fast . . .

I'm trying to get an overall opinion of the area. What it is like to live there.

Thanks,
    Steve

Prices in Huntsville are still way better than Birmingham, so not sure how big an impact that would have on Fort Payne. Not sure what you do for a living, but Fort Payne is a pretty long haul from ...well...everywhere. Seventy miles to Huntsville, ninety-five to Birmingham, seventy to Anniston, fourty to Gasden.

Might be a nice spot if you can actually work in Fort Payne. Not bad striking distances to Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta for tool and wood road trips.

Smile You got it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Prices in Huntsville are still way better than Birmingham, so not sure how big an impact that would have on Fort Payne. Not sure what you do for a living, but Fort Payne is a pretty long haul from ...well...everywhere. Seventy miles to Huntsville, ninety-five to Birmingham, seventy to Anniston, fourty to Gasden.

Might be a nice spot if you can actually work in Fort Payne. Not bad striking distances to Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta for tool and wood road trips.
    I would finally get to live somewhere I could actually buy things without an UPS truck . . .

Thanks,
    Steve

Well, traffic is getting worse on all of the major routes in and out of Huntsville. Shopping wise, there is MAdison Square Mall, Parkway Place Mall, and Bridgestreet Town Center. Bridgestreet is an upscale shopping center just north of I-565 and west of Research Park Blvd. There are no specialty woodworking stores in Huntsville, but Scottsboro has The Hardwood Center, located west of Scottsboro, and on the south side of US. 72. Being in N. Alabama, there are mountains to hike, some great views of the valley, the Tenessee River to fish with Lakes Guntersville, Wheeler, Wilson and Pickwick located on the river system. There is hunting land once you get out of town.

There is more, both good and bad. Huntsville is making a lot of top 10 lists in Business Week, Forbes and other magazines.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

Smile Again, thanks . . .

Every little bit of information from people that actually live in the general area helps . . . all total it creates a good overall view.

Steve