Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stage 1: acquire dust collector... Stage 2

So I am seriously leaning towards venting outside, the less mess the better, so now what is the best way to replace the displaced air? Will opening one of the windows be enough? While this is not the most desirable scenario in the middle of the winter when it is 0 or below, I can deal with it. My shop is not heated or cooled, only relies on the heat from up above.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Eads View Post
    So I am seriously leaning towards venting outside, the less mess the better, so now what is the best way to replace the displaced air? Will opening one of the windows be enough?
    If you have a 6" duct running to outside, you'll need at least that much area bringing air in. In reality, you'll want much more intake area than that to prevent accidentally sucking flue gasses inside.

Like electricity, the intake air will try to take the path of least resistance. So make sure the path of least resistance is through several open windows, not down through a furnace vent.

If you vent outside and suck in the window screen, you need a bigger inlet air source. If you suck in the door, you need a screen door. If you suck up the cast iron top from your table saw, you need a smaller dust collector. Experiments are your friend.