Thread: Dye sub - recommendations for ceramic tile?

Dye sub - recommendations for ceramic tile?

Whoa, there are a lot of options out there.

I haven't tried dye sub yet, but a customer wants a tile to hang on the wall with a color portrait on it. I told the customer it will not be uv stable. Someone here pointed me toward Mytransfersource, and that's the way I'm planning to go. I have a heat press, and will order a pad.

I need to order some tiles.

Do you have any suggestions (sources, brands) for dye sublimation tile ?

Should I order a Nomex pad? Or is silicone a good way to go?

Thanks!
    Amy
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

You probably have this resolved by now, if not post again, or email me and I'd be happy to give you some direction. You could also check out a dye sub forum - dyesub dot org.

Gary

Thanks

Believe it or not, with all my web research, I hadn't seen that forum. Thanks, Gary!

It's "resolved" as far as I ordered some tile and ordered some dye sub prints online... I should receive the prints today, and the Nomex pad today also. I want to try it out without buying a dye sub system. Who knows, we might sell a lot of it and we'll need to get our own printer.
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

Warm the tiles on the top of the press before you start.... cold tiles can mess up the heat cycle and you get light transfers.

DRY your printouts on top of the heat press before you press. Moisture in the air absorbed into the paper turns to steam and makes blurry spots in the artwork.

Brave....... Venturing into a tile job without a safety net of being able to print a new transfer when it prints too light.... I like it....

Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Yup, either brave, or just... stupid? (I know that was what you were thinking!!!! heh heh)

Fortunately, we don't have a particular job scheduled at the moment, so it's all just testing.

That's a great point about moisture in the print, and the cold tiles. Thanks!
    There are so many things I need to learn!

Other great tips can be found on the new Johnson Plastic Forum under Sublimation and the Engraving Etc forum.

If you ever do T Shirts... Use a lint roller before you print on the shirt to remove what will become blue specks after pressing.....

Saw another tip about placing a large metal washer under the backside of a tile to support the center for more pressure.... Have not tried that, and wonder it it is really necessary...

Oven Glove.... Burns hurt.....

I have only done a few tiles in the years I have been doing them....

More unusual uses.... On a Clock or a Quilt Rack..... Not your typical use...

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

If you decide to get a printer check out the Ricoh line.

I had an Epson and nothing but trouble, clogged jets, wasted ink.
    the final straw was it had a CD printer (does anyone print on a CD?)
    the switch went bad (lack of use I guess) so it wouldn't allow paper
    to feed properly. Talking with corporate offices (Epson) they agreed
    it was an issue and sent me a refurb, same thing happened 2 months later.

Went to Ricoh and never looked back!

You can get one with an ink set for under $500.00

If you decide dye sub go Ricoh!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

thanks

Uh... (red face) ... I have printed on cds a few times! lol, but it was a Canon.

I have heard Ricoh is the way to go! I'll keep that in mind.
    Do you buy a printer then toss the ink (or sell on ebay) that comes with it?
    Or just buy it from a dye sub supplier?

I think we're going to a dye sub seminar next month, so it will be a crash course in dye sub.

The regular inks came with it (I did buy the GX 7000 though) I can't sell them so I keep them in case I get another as an inkjet printer for photos.
    The dye sub inks are aftermarket so they are seperate from the printer.

If you can buy at a trade show time (even if you don't go) call the vendor
    and ask for a trade show discount, usually they give a discount or free
    products at an event.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer