Thread: Sharpening Station? Thoughts?

Sharpening Station? Thoughts?

A recent CL acquisition has led this gem to my shop. I envision a new sharpening station and tool rack. Looking for some input and ideas, so what would you do? I have a bench grinder with wolverine setup, a WS3000, buffing wheel, 1x42 sander, and might want to add glass plates. Note not all these items need to go on the cart, they are just what I am working with.

Nothing? Nobody has any thoughts on this? If it were in your shop what would you do?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Gary Conklin View Post
    Nothing? Nobody has any thoughts on this? If it were in your shop what would you do?
    Gary,

I think it has potential. I like the idea of a sharpening station. The drawers would be good to keep small items in, like the wheel dressers, and belts for your 1x42 belt sander.

Maybe put some magnetic tool strips on the side for the tools, or build a rack that would hang off the back side for them...........without seeing it up close, then it is hard to know a whole lot, but you will get it fixed to suit yourself..

Good luck with it.........great project!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My first thought was my wife probably would have loved that in our kitchen!!!!

How sturdy is it? My grinder moves alot, so that may be a concern.

Hard to tell from the picture, are the wings stable enough to mount the grinder/wolverine to? Would not save much space to hang them off the side though...
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Here's mine. I find I need to sharpen often, so I wanted it mobile and close to the lathe. I had one of those automotive carts mainly in the way, so not wanting to loose the storage, I took some two by stock and built a platform. This raised the grinders up, for me being tall and gave me access to the top tray. It's still a work in progress, hence the junk underneath. (if you have any ideas to improve, pass them on)
    I have on it a Tormek and slow speed grinder back to back on it and all the Tormek jigs. It's very convenient and can be moved. When I get the storage straightened out, it will be great. Good luck, I look forward to others showing how they dealt with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, guys. I am thinking I may go with the grinder and belt sander on the stable center portion. Plate glass on one wing, and use the other wing with a removeable mount for the WS3000 and possibly a homemade buffer. The shelf above the rear should work nicely for turning jigs, and I may extend the back up and use a few of those handy dandy tool racks that ya'll make that look so good. I also plan to add some drawers to those slots that do not have any or possibly a few "bottomless" tool holders. I do not think I will have any issues with the grinder as it is pretty balanced and this thing is solid wood with a butcher block top, weighs about 200 lbs.

My mobile tool cart/sharpening station

Hi Gary:

Here is a photo of my mobile tool cart/sharpening station. This is the third version for me. I use this in my shop and when I travel to do my demos etc.

The other side has all my small frequently needed accessories for my lathe. An important feature for me was to have my tool rack on the right side where I stand when sharpening.

The drawers contain a lot of small stuff plus face plates, sanders etc. Since the drawers close it keep the shavings out. I have installed a bar across the bottom with a pulling point so I can drag the cart up the ramp into my trailer using an electric winch. The winch is also used to pull my lathe into the trailer. I've been traveling with my Stubby for about 10 years and will be carting my new Robust American Beauty around starting next month.

Don Geiger

I mounted my system to a removable top so I could take it to demos. It sits on top of a drawer stack, which I promptly filled with sharpening related stuff, tools, and junk...

I don't know how to attach a previously attached pic, but you can find it here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=136017

Well how bout this:

Last edited by Jim Underwood; 10-21-2010 at 1:25 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Removable top

Hi Jim:
    The top on mine removes too. It is secured with four bolts that hold the MDF base to the top of the mechanic's tool cabinet. I placed two pieces of MDF underneath the metal top which provides some surface area to strengthen the top. I have T-nuts in the MDF the bolts to go through. If I'm just doing an evening demo somewhere and am not bringing my own lathe in the trailer, it's nice to be able to remove the grinder.

I have four bench grinders and a Tormek in all. This is the only one on a cart.

Dont Geiger

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    I mounted my system to a removable top so I could take it to demos. It sits on top of a drawer stack, which I promptly filled with sharpening related stuff, tools, and junk...

I don't know how to attach a previously attached pic, but you can find it here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=136017

Hi Don: Appreciate the picture of your roll around sharpening station. Just the idea I needed.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim

That piece is way to pretty to go in a shop... If I had a wife, it would never make it to the shop anyway.... Well, maybe if you have a 'studio' instead of a 'shop'...

robo hippy

Guess you COULD use a hamster condo for sharpening stuff storage. How was that object described on CL?

Great minds think alike. I did something similar, however I mounted my grinder on the short side by design and used some surplus cabinet doors to cover shelves and drawers. The protruding wolverine bars don't interfere with storage access at all. The roll around function is a god send as it now always immediately available when turning for tool edge touch ups.