Thread: Dust Collection in a mixed shop?

Dust Collection in a mixed shop?

Hello guys!

We ve just rented a new space aprrox 350sqm. Its part of a big factory around 10000sqm which the owner "cut" in various sizes to rent.

Problem is that our woodworking machines (Bandsaw, RAS, Jointer/Planer) have to co exist now with sewing machines, stock lots of fabric and foam, a cutting table etc etc.

We will install a DC system outside, maybe a small silo or something but im sure dust will creep on just about anything in there.

If we install some air filters around the area where the woodworking machines will be do you think it will make any diff? I was thinking of seperating the area with curtains or air curtains?

What do you think?

That sounds like a dispute just waiting to happen. I don't know what is the best way to control the dust, although the DC outside is a good start. Making sure that the fresh air intake is on the other end of the space, so that "clean" air moves towards your area, might help. If you're doing sanding, a downdraft table (or some type of sanding booth) might be good to have.

First and foremost, though, I would make sure that your DC measures are clearly spelled out in the rental agreement; that all parties sign off on it; and then if there's an issue, either the landlord can deal with it or the sewing people can learn to cover their machines and fabrics to keep them clean.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Blog Entries
    Agree with John. Even with an interior wall separation, shared air handling will allow potential dust transfer. Ambient cleaners in their area, managed by you might help but, a formal and signed agreement is the only way I see of avoiding legal issues as the non-legal arguments sound unavoidable. Sorry, just my opinion.

Hopefully I am just a bit on the negative side and things will work out well. Is there a large empty section between the two factions? That would be a good thing. Certainly dust collection, at the source, on a level that I imagine would be required is possible; just not on a shoestring. I do wish you success and would like to hear how things develop. Information on what makes a successful shared working environment could be very helpful to others here. I know I would really welcome the education; good luck.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-20-2010 at 9:00 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

We have a similar situation in my company, where we manufacture high-odor fragrances in our warehouse, but need the front offices to remain odor-free.

The best way to do this is to install a dedicated air handler that will cause a pressure differential between the surrounding area and your work area. You do have to wall off your area, install a return to draw air from the surrounding area, and then vent to the outside.

Given enough fans/air handlers and respective vents/windows/doors to the outside, anything is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    That sounds like a dispute just waiting to happen. I don't know what is the best way to control the dust, although the DC outside is a good start. Making sure that the fresh air intake is on the other end of the space, so that "clean" air moves towards your area, might help. If you're doing sanding, a downdraft table (or some type of sanding booth) might be good to have.

First and foremost, though, I would make sure that your DC measures are clearly spelled out in the rental agreement; that all parties sign off on it; and then if there's an issue, either the landlord can deal with it or the sewing people can learn to cover their machines and fabrics to keep them clean.

Sorry guys , i think i didnt make it clear (english is not my 1st lang). We are an upholstery/frame workshop so the sewing machines are ours.

Moving shop is hell as it turns out!

George

oh, in that case you can do what you want! And your english is excellent, I just did not pick up on the fact that it was all your equipment.

the suggestions about dedicated air handlers and well-located air cleaners are good ones. You might consider covering equipment and material when not being used.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

It will be like having a no smoking section on an airplane. Or a no chlorine section in a swimming pool, Dust will do where it wants to.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Konis View Post
    Sorry guys , i think i didnt make it clear (english is not my 1st lang). We are an upholstery/frame workshop so the sewing machines are ours.

Moving shop is hell as it turns out!

George
    Ah, different situation. The amount of separation you require will be up to you. Fine dust will make it almost anywhere that is not positively pressurized. You should be able to make a satisfactory run of it with a light wall of some kind. I don't know if fabric will do it but, I am interested to see how this works out. I'd like to isolate a part of my shop too but, don't want to put up a permanent wall so, I just keep cleaning up ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think this is a good chance - for not THAT much more expense - to build a double drywalled room-in-a-room, which can provide moderate sound deadening as well as dust containment/positive pressure.

Is this an option?