Thread: Educate Me On Danish Oil vs. Antique Oil

Educate Me On Danish Oil vs. Antique Oil

I have been using Danish Oil to finish bowls and I understand the process and results with that product. I see a number of folks here are using Antique Oil. How does the composition, finishing process and resulting appearance of the bowl differ between the two products? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

With you permission, I could move this thread to the Finish Forum where a couple guys with a whole lot more knowledge might be able to explain it.

Personally, I think they are very similar in composition.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That would be fine Ken.

It's done Gene
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Danish oil is an oil/varnish blend. Antique oil is a MinWax oil/varnish blend.

Is there a difference? maybe Making your own oil/varnish blend is the best solution.

Typically an oil/varnish blend is:
    1/3 oil (most use Boiled linseed oil)
    1/3 varnish (here's where you get control by picking the most appropriate varnish)
    1/3 mineral spirits (a.k.a. paint thinner)

More oil will give a softer sheen. More varnish will give a shinier finish.

Most (if not all) of the pre-mixed packaged oil/varnish blends (a.k.a. danish oils) use more mineral spirits and less varnish and oil. Some "danish oils" also have an added stain (Watco for example) I don't know of any oil/varnish blends that are made with tung oil, it would lower profits and not make the blend any better.

These are all in-the-wood finishes and cannot build a film. They're too soft... don't believe the marketing guy's words about how "it penitrates into the wood and hardens it from with-in" That's hog wash. Good test: let some dry on a piece of glass and see how "hard" is cures.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 10-21-2010 at 12:17 AM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Both products are simply oil and varnish mixes that are essentially identical in appearance, method of application, and durability. There will be minor differences among brands with some having more thinner, etc. The names are just marketing terms, not indicative of real product differences. (You can add Teak Oil and some brands of "Tung Oil Finish" to the table of virtually identical products.) Tung oil finish is tricky--Minwax Tung Oil Finish is oil/varnish, virtually the same as Antique Oil, but Formby's Tung Oil Finish is actually varnish, with no oil at all.

Watco?

Dumb question, but are you guys talking about the Watco product?

Yes, Watco is an oil/varnish blend with some color added to all but their natual "color".
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Watco is the manufacturer of what most people know as "Danish Oil".

Thank you Scott. That is exactly what I needed to know.

Yes, thank you.