Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling cart for air cleaner?

Rolling cart for air cleaner?

I have a Delta air cleaner that has been in storage for a few years. I have a fairly low basement ceiling and don't really want to hang it. Somewhere, maybe here, maybe on another website or in a magazine, I saw a plan or picture for a rolling cart that the air cleaner sat on. It was about 6 feet tall and the air cleaner just parked right on top, the lower tiers of the cart were for tools or hardware or whatever, and you could roll it around the shop and put it near whatever happened to be making dust at the time.

Does anyone here recall something like that and could tell me where to find it? A search of this site, and a Google search, doesn't turn up much. I have seen versions with the air cleaner under an outfeed table, or as a downdraft table, but I don't want that. I want it up high where it does the most good.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

You could build something similar to this. It was in Wood Magazine.

Yes, that looks similar to what I was thinking of. The biggest problem I think I will have, is stability. The air cleaner isn't heavy, but having a 6-1/2' tall tower on four casters may be inviting trouble. I think I may need to build it so that it has a larger footprint than the base dimensions of the air cleaner.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Jon,

Most people hang their air cleaner along the long wall in their shop at least six feet off of the ground. This gives the best air flow for the cleaner's intended purpose. Please forgive me for asking, but what will you gain by rolling it around where it will take up floor space and air space vs having it permanently mounted? Air cleaners are not meant for "spot" air filtration at a tool. They are meant for general filtration and capture of larger particles that may linger after a dust collector/cyclone does its work.

Paul

Jon,

check out ShopNotes think I saw what you are talking about several months ago.

While I honestly think you would be WAY better served hanging that thing at least 6.5 feet off the ground, you CAN put it up on a shelf in a modified version of Wood Magazine's Bench Tool System.

http://www.woodstore.net/besy.html

My garage shop doesn't have the best height either, but is likely better than a lot of basements... At 8' 6" hanging my Grizzly off of a pair of 2x4 mounting rails to tie into the studs, puts my air filter at the perfect height for what the MFG recommends.

I have plenty of room to walk around underneath it, I just can't move long material around on end under it...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    jon, i remember the picture but dont remember what magazine it was in? i did copy the plans at the time and have them out in my shop so i will see if it shows the info at the bottom or not and see if i can get you something copied so check back tonight and hopefully i can hook you up!

Blog Entries
    okay, i found the info. its in ShopNotes #87 (may/june 06) on page 4

there really isnt any specific plans but it does show a few dimensions.

good luck and post some pics when you get it built.

Blog Entries
    jon endres, i was curious if you ever made this cart? if so
    please post some pictures and let us know how you like it?

i think im going to build one for my air filter and planer.

I built one a cople of years ago that is about 28 - 30 inches high and put my OSS and (recently upgraded) 6" belt sander on it. works well and not much space wasted. Needed a space for my sanders anyway...

Guess I should say too that my air cleaner was homebuilt, using a 2 cage squirrel fan 'rescued' from a new furnace installation across the street

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Blog Entries
    keith, yours looks good and probably functions great but its a bit short i would say!

i need to get my butt in gear and get it built so i can finally fire up my air filter and get my planer
    on it and get my sander cases up off the floor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning!!

Slighty off thread.. where have you found information about the recommended height for an air cleaner. I just reread my manual and did not see any recommendations.

Cheers
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Russell View Post
    Slighty off thread.. where have you found information about the recommended height for an air cleaner. I just reread my manual and did not see any recommendations.

Cheers
    I would say it’s best to have it on the higher side mainly for circulating the heat in the shop of off the ceiling and getting it back down to the floor in the colder months. I know that is one of the reasons I got mine instead of a ceiling fan. Basically air movement and cleaning of the air.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    it dont matter where you mount it as long as you have one and its running.
    as you seen above a shop made unit was on the floor, you can mount it one
    a wall sideways, etc..

I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Jendro View Post
    You could build something similar to this. It was in Wood Magazine.

Well that's a first. I see links to pictures in posts here all the time that I can't view from work. First time I've seen one I can't view from home...