Thread: Dri Core Panels for shop Floor

Dri Core Panels for shop Floor

Hello, I put up a new shop a year ago and have decided I need to get something over the concrete floor for a little cushion and to help keep the shop warmer in the winter. I wanted to to do a floor with sleepers and osb/plywood on top but the build up in height will be to high for my doors. I have been looking at the Dri Core panels (2x2) as these look like they will work fine but a little more $$, but easier to put down. I was wondering if anyone has used these for their wood shop floor "as is" as their final floor. No covering at all. Big Box store says you can, but just add a few Tapcons here and there to help prevent any movement. He also said you can add poly or floor paint on top to finish. Anythought on this? I might be able to add a laminant floor on to later (when I have more $$) if I have enough room under the doors after the dricore. Thanks

Todd

I just use those 2'x2' foam squares that lock together. I got mine from Sam's Club.

I used Dri Core on my exercise room/Sun Room. The base is concrete. I installed laminate flooring over the Dri Core and it has been great. The room is heated by Sun light and forced air heat from my furnace. The walls are insulated with 3 inches of rigid spray foam and the ceiling has 18 inches of loose fiberglass insulation. My exercise equipment is as heavy as a lot of shop tools. The floor has held up great and is warm even on very cold days.
    I really think that Dri Core would be fine for your shop floor. I don't know how well your shop is insulated or how it is heated so I can't tell how warm the floor will be in your situation. Door clearance can be a problem as well as uneven concrete. I had to use a grinder with a wheel designed for concrete to smooth out several rough spots.
    David B

I installed DriCore panels in my small (9 1/2' x 19') shop over a thin indoor-outdoor carpet that had been glued to the concrete floor. The T&G joint edges assembled easily. Some panels exhibit slight surface mismatch with adjacent ones due to manufacturing tolerances, but not enough to be a trip hazard. After all, they are really designed to be an underlayment. They are very slightly resilient, which feels good underfoot. There is no problem moving my granite topped table saw over the floor.

Be aware that there are two types of surface finishes available for the DriCore product -- rough surfaced and smooth finished. I did not discover the mixture of the two until I went to install the product, but I was unable to find any more of the smooth surfaced ones at HD in my area. So I installed the rough surfaced ones along the edges of the room where they are less noticeable. Sweeping the rough surfaced ones is somewhat difficult. I did not add any additional surface finish to the panels, nor did I fasten them to the concrete floor.

Also be aware that the surface of the DriCore can be somewhat slippery when coated with sawdust. I like the product and would install it again.

Thanks for the responses. Nice to know about the 2 differnent finishes and the fact that you did not fasten to the concrete. Have you ever had anyshifting at all without attaching it? My shop is a detached garage/shop and well insulated. Actual shop size is 20x28 and I heat it with a 45000 btu lp furnace that hangs from the ceiling. It heats up well but I definately can feel the cold in the concrete in winter. I live in Wi so it can get fairly cold here. I think this flooring will help alot!!!

I looked at these recently to use in my basement under carpet. I ultimately chose not to - but it does look to be a good product. I would use it as a floor in my basement shop "as-is" without hesitation - it seems very sturdy, would be removable in case of problems, and it much nicer to walk&stand on than the concrete floor.

I am not sure I would tap-con any to the floor unless you had some that you did not want to move - along an opening into another room, for instance. I believe you are supposed to install with a 1/4" gap between it and the walls, to allow for expansion. Securing to the floor would make it unable to expand/contract, and might produce buckling or other problems.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

You might also look into Delta-FL or Platon instead of the Dri-Core.
    Both of those are large rolls of the plastic dimpled stuff, and then you lay sheets of OSB on top and tap-con it down, unlike the dri-core which is plastic already bonded to OSB.

From my figuring, it looks much cheaper.
    "It's Not About You."

Can not comment about Dri Core, but i work in a metal machine shop and they have rubber mats which are about 5/8's thick 3' wide (will guess the leinth is 100', its a roll we cut to fit or need) - they where tossing some out - i have two layed down on top of one another infront of my current work bench and its a huge difference on my feet, its almost cozy

Just a thought.

_

I used the 2'x2' rubber squares from Sam's Club (woodcraft sold them too). They were about $.50 @sq.ft when I got them and they have held up well for the 10 years I've had them down. They are easy to clean and you can't beat them for comfort!

You'll save a lot of money and get the same result using Delta FL. I used it in my 2,000 sq ft shop along with a thin layer of foam, under a 12mm laminate floor. Very comfortable. I will also use it in my basement where there is potential for moisture issues. In this case I will float T&G OSB Gold on top of inverted Delta FL (cups down) , rather than Tapcon through.

Ok been doing a little research about the Delta Fl and Platon underlayments. They are are pretty much the same thing from what it looks like. The Platon is easier to get for me, Menards carries it. Local Lowes in the area doesnt carry delt fl and is special order. The Platon and 3/4 OSB T&G and would run $450-$500. If I use this, can I just lay out the Platon, tape the seams, place the OSB on top and use it as a floating floor without fastening down the OSB to slab. I was looking at the Tapcon and it looks like the head sticks out above the osb when attaching. I wouldnt want this all over the floor. Would the floor be ok without securing it? I do have my equipment on mobile bases so I dont want any movement or joints opening up.

Thanks

What about some 1/2" thick foam carpet backing? I found some of that about a year ago and cut pieces to fit around my tools and it adds alot of cushion. It should be reasonably priced. I will have to find more for my new shop.
    Donny

Why not go with OSB over thinner sleepers. OSB is cheap and won't produce a gazillion seams, which are not ideal in a shop. Rip a couple of sheets of 1/2" into 3" strips and you have your sleepers.