Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sam Maloof's finish

This is very unique--not a formula that has been promulated in books or magazines. The mineral spirits you add and the solvent (likely mineral spirits) in the poly are just as respirator worthy as the solvents in the other finishes that have been mentioned. I just don't understand wanting to mix mineral oil with varnish. Mineral oil is basically an oil that does not cure and ought to act like a thinner that just barely evaporates. I'd be really skeptical about how durable this would be as a finish. How would it resist water rings from ice tea glasses set on the surface for a couple of hours.

I have a large island counter top made of Mesquite with a 3 part, Sam Maloof type finish, just installed yesterday. My wife is already reaching for the lemon oil and I'm holding her off. I'm curious as to what the best regular maintenance for such a surface is? I realize that depending on use I will need to reapply the Maloof type finish every 6-12 months but what about in between? Will a typical lemon or orange oil furniture product impact the reapplication of the Maloof?

Lemon or Orange furniture oil is mostly mineral oil with scent and/or color added. As such it won't do much to protect the wood, and it will be reasonably removable with mineral spirits should refreshing the finish is needed. Personally, I would totally avoid such products, and add another finish coat at a little more frequent intervals, being sure to thoroughly remove any excess finish. The problem doing that is that oil/varnish does take some time to cure.

Paul Lemiski(canadianwoodworks.com) builds a lot of Maloof rockers and has switched from the Maloof formula to Rubio Monocoat. Apparently it is more durable and single coat is all that is needed.Pretty expensive though.

5. Please help. I mixed 1/3 of each: Linseed oil, paint thinner and varnish. One of the products coagulated to form this giant glob. I don't know which it was, my husband poured them for me while I was out of the room. I mixed and mixed, however it is still a bit cloudy and there are still small particals floating in the mixture. Any advice, reccomendations, ideas, anything appreciated. thank you in advance, Louise

Blog Entries
    I use mineral spirits, BLO and a modified phenolic varnish (Cabot's). I use a 1:1:1 for the first through 3rd coats; wipe on, leave for 20 - 30 minutes in our dry desert basin weather, then wipe it off like you changed your mind. I then use a 1:1:3 mix two or three times to build film. These later coats get wiped on a little thicker because the mix is a little thicker. They get wiped off less aggressively to leave more behind.

Depending on the finish I am after and the use of the item I will follow up a week or so after with a wet sand. I use 1000 - 1500 grit abrasives and a spritz of mineral spirits for a lubricant. I wipe down after sanding an area with a paper towel sprayed with mineral spirits. Through force of habit and a love for the look, I then paste wax and buff out.

On walnut:
    GnG Low CoD (283).jpg

On cherry:
    Niki CT Dresser (157).jpg

On sepele:
    GnG Wall Cab (187).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler