Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jig saw/choices

jig saw/choices

am in the market for new jog saw the old one has died or at least breathng real heavy. the choices i have narrowed down to are

bosch-festool-metabo/ also which handle configuration barrel or dhandle. model preferd and why would be appreciatied thanks fo rthe replies in advance//larry
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Festool!

My Festool jig saw is an invaluable tool. I have the older PS2 model which was $160 at a close-out sale ($100 less than the PS300 which they are now selling). This is about the 8th jig saw that I have owned and the first one that I could absolutly rely upon to make accurate cuts.

It is also the first barell handle that I have ever owned and I find that this type of handle gives me more precise control of the cut.

Hello all, this is my first post. I'm glad to have found a forum that exchanges ideas and information about the hobby I love so much.

About jigsaws. I just bought the Bosch 6.4 Amp top handle model from Amazon on sale for $135. I got it in the shop and cut some 6/4 ash from my bone pile. WOW! Up until that point I had never used a "real" jigsaw. Power, power, power. I cut a smooth 1 -2" radius curve with no problem and the surface was very smooth. My advice would be consider the Bosch.

Merry Christmas,

Ron Robinson

Welcome Ron!

Ron, let be the first to welcome you to Saw Mill Creek. The folks here are very congenial and generous with their time and knowledge.

For what you have said, it appears that maybe some other company is producing a jig saw that is at the same quality level as the Festool. Good!

Larry,
    I have reviews of the Bosch offrerings at the link below (scroll down to Jig Saws).
    I recently switched to the barrel grip (1590) and like it even more than the opt handled version, though there are folks who like them either way.
    Very good saws, super tough, smooth and the new blade changing system is as fast as it is going to get!

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

My Bosch is a Cadallic. Whats that saying, you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands? Lol
    I have the handle grip.

Bosch

They are an amazing saw. Never used a festool but love my Bosch
    Jerry

Bosch, please!!!

Here is yet another vote for the Bosch. I've got the top handle 1590, and LOVE IT!!! Wouldn't trade it.

Keith

I've got the 18v cordless Bosch and absolutely love it. I've used both the barrel and top handled models and while I have a slight preference for the barrel model my current one is top handled and I have no problems with it.

One more vote for the Bosch. My wife saw Marth Stewart (before conviction) using one and decided my old Skil wouldn't cut it for her perfered use. She dragged me kicking and screaming down to Blue Box to by one. Not a single problem with it in 2yrs.

Having a small shop I use it to rip 4x8 plywood to a managable size. Find that's a less dusty method than a skill saw.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau
    am in the market for new jog saw the old one has died or at least breathng real heavy. the choices i have narrowed down to are

bosch-festool-metabo/ also which handle configuration barrel or dhandle. model preferd and why would be appreciatied thanks fo rthe replies in advance//larry
    The one that keeps the cut square and provides better antichip protection. With the price of lumber today...one bad cut can be the price of the zick saw.
    If you're using the tool a lot, in the long run the second best it will cost you much more.
    ycf dino

Bosch 1590 or 1591, I hear that barrel grip varies depending on hand size, bigger hands being more comfortable, but I have never used a barrel grip so I can't help you there.

Where I can help though is: The Bosch makes glass like, accurate cuts. Vibration is non-existent. Precision control is nothing more than a click of a button and it works wonders if you need it too, but I find that the jigsaw without it produces beautiful results. Blade changing is too easy. If you like to work at changing blades then this is not the saw for you. And the price is very good when comparing it to its only real (Festool) competition on the market though with the results I get from my bosch I can't see the other being good enough to warrent the cost.

Since I can resell tools in my area for more than I pay for them I will eventually buy the Festool and make a real comparison and just sell the loser off. The curiosity is killing me.

One vote here for the DeWalt. I was seriously looking at a Bosch until a friend told me that they must use the Bosch blades while the DeWalt could take not only the Bosch but all others as well. I had too many blades that I wouldn't/couldn't throw out so I went for the big yellow. Mine is a top handle, power galore, and cuts hardwood like butter. I expect mine will last for years as I have only had it a little over a year and use it on a limited basis.

Merry Christmas to all.
    Mike

The orange borg near me had the "old" model Bosch on sale with a free Bosch ROS. If you can find the $135 deal mentioned above don't wait another minute, just buy it! Even the previous generation Bosch is light years ahead of my old heap. I haven't used the Festool so I can't compare but I doubt you will be sorry if you get the Bosch.

I'd like to second Frank's statement on the Festool. I own a PS 300 EQ which I like a lot. The CP blade guard and the well-thought anti-chip inserts are those features I like best.
    You might be interested in a couple of reviews:
    Review1
    Review2
    Review3
    Review4
    Review5
    Review6
    Review7

Hope this helps,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,