Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to pick up my new (to me) Jointer today!!

Tim -

That will clean up with absolutely NO problems. I have an even older (it is green) PM Model 50 6" jointer in my garage that was in far worse shape. It was torn all the way down to parade rest - not hard to do - thoroughly cleaned, painted and reassembled. It just purrs now. The older iron (relatively speaking) you have is worth the time.

Have fun and take lots of pics,
    Ted

Looked at that picture again.

That is not a magnetic switch. Simply a push button on/off. Unless it`s broken leave it alone. I am guessing that it is a single phase 1-2 hp motor.

However Allen Bradley sells switches and enclosures that you can use.

And the fact that you live in Vermont kinda puts the damper on having me help ya out....

Some of my machines were in far worse shape then your jointer. Never know that to see `em now.

http://www.marsh-monster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1288
    Last edited by John Edwards; 12-25-2004 at 10:50 PM. Reason: adding a link

The motor is not working...it grinds when turning on. Might be able to be repaired, but I would guess it might be just as effective to replace. its a 220v baldor 1 1/2 HP. IThe pulleys may be OK, but the belt was cut to seperate the 2 pieces. Its 14 years old and judging by the rust I was planning on changing out the switch "just because"...you are right though, no need to plow money into this..part of me is just getting adjusted to the fact that it needs a lot of work.

Tim,

I rebuilt/restored this SIP Jig Bore several years ago, as you can see, it was in much poorer than your PM. It turned out to be an enjoyable project.
    Boy, my garage shop sure looked different back then...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-26-2004 at 7:10 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'm with Ted...your "new" jointer will clean up quite nicely. Rust is generally a surface thing in most cases and once you clean it off, you'll be left with a wonderful surface. And the good news is that jointers are pretty simple tools mechanically, so most of what you need to do revolves around "elbow grease". That will be a fine addition to your shop, Tim! Congratulations and happy holidays!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Much Better that a New Grizzly

An older made in America machine is much better than any import. Don't be disheartened by the rust. My table saw was sitting out in the woods, uncovered. I brought that back as well as a Delta 8" jointer from the 50's and now have a Delta 15" DP that I just picked up. Yes the tables will never have that showroom shine, but the workings are built to a much higher quality. This is a GREAT find!!!!

CPeter

I have taken away alot of the rust frm the table top, and am left with some ugly black stains...not sure what to do next to get rid of the stains, if it is even possible. So far i have used scotchbrite and wd-40, and also some hand cleaner that I read about online. They bith work well on the rust, but I wonder if i can get the newness back to the cast iron.

Tim,
    Probably not. Cast iron has a tendency to stain. The only way to remove the stain is to grind the top again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    This Thread has been officially declared a Non Gloat for failure to produce pictures in a timely manner.

Non Gloat

A 10 picture penalty has been assessed for non compliance.
    Tyler Please show some mercy toward this good man. HE WAS PROBABLY READING THE BOOK HE WAS GIVEN FOR CHRISTMAS (AS I WAS) ABOUT THE REDSOX VICTORY IN THE WORLD SERIES!! (Excuse the caps lock key). That jointer will ,as John Candy said in "Planes, Trains..": Buff right out.. Enjoy your new jointer and reco you wax it after you remove the rust.
    Jerry

here is what a little elbow grease will do..I found some hand cleaner that someone recommended (gojo?)and it cleans the rust and black spots off pretty easliy.I have a long way to go still and then I will need to find a way to polish it up nice and shiny.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    I have a long way to go still and then I will need to find a way to polish it up nice and shiny.
    I think if you start with 100 grit glued on to a large flat surface and it will grind down to get the black stains off. Then go with 220 grit and work all the way up to 2000 for a mirror finish!
    Last edited by Scott Parks; 12-27-2004 at 10:16 PM.

Alright now, that's a powermatic and a Redsoxs GLOAT in one thread! Enough already leave my beloved REDBIRDS alone. (Gonna cry in my Budwieser some more.)