Thread: To Chamfer or Not to Chamfer...

Question To Chamfer or Not to Chamfer...

...that is my predicament.

I am finish sanding my first big project. It is a craftsman style bookcase and I am unsure whether to chamfer some of the 90* edges. They seem somewhat sharp and I worry they will be more prone to chipping or splintering if left them 90* from the saw. Would I be better off to chamfer some of the edges on the face frame? I'd rather not fillet the edges because it doesn't really fit the style but astetically I have put about an 1/8 chamfer on some of the other edges, I just don't want to overdo it. Any risk from future use if I leave them a sharp 90*?

Thanks in advance.

I would use a 1/8 round over bit or even better a Slick Plane will do a nice job of rounding over the corner.

Blog Entries
    I can only speak for my 'druthers'. . . A chamfer is consistent with your craftsman style piece. Your design will dictate which edges should boast an obvious chamfer. Other edges should be "eased" by lightly knocking the sharp edge off with 220 or 320 sandpaper. This removes the harsh edge not commonly found on craftsman pieces and will aid your finishing efforts.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think it's a good idea to knock the edge off of any sharp corner that will be 'touched'. A few light passes with a block plane will ease the edge enough so it doesn't feel sharp.