Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re Bandsaw Riser Blocks

Question Question re Bandsaw Riser Blocks

Within the next month, I plan to purchase my first bandsaw and I want that saw to be good enough that it will also be my last.

After a lot of reading, I have pretty well decided on the General 690.

My biggest concern about that saw is that one needs to use a riser block in order to achieve 12" resaw. I have no experience with riser blocks but have heard that they can take a lot of time to install and set up properly. I do plan to do a fair amount of re-sawing.

I would like to hear any comments about the use of riser blocks.

Also, if anyone knows a good reason that I sould not buy the General 690 please let me know (and your opinion that I should buy a Mini-Max instead does not qualify as good reason ).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    My biggest concern about that saw is that one needs to use a riser block in order to achieve 12" resaw. I have no experience with riser blocks but have heard that they can take a lot of time to install and set up properly. I do plan to do a fair amount of re-sawing.

I would like to hear any comments about the use of riser blocks.
    Frank, I was looking at the General 690 and according to General's website, the 690 has a one-piece frame with 12 3/4" resaw capacity. ??

As far as risor blocks go, I had one on my old Delta 14" and installation was pretty easy. The Delta setup used an alignment pin to line up the top & bottom frames.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't know about the 690 but I just got the G0555 with riser block and it took me about 15 min to get it in working order!

Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Frank, I was looking at the General 690 and according to General's website, the 690 has a one-piece frame with 12 3/4" resaw capacity. ??

As far as risor blocks go, I had one on my old Delta 14" and installation was pretty easy. The Delta setup used an alignment pin to line up the top & bottom frames.
    That is what I thought from the web site too. But, I asked a local dealer and they said that it did have a riser block. I hope that it doesn't and will contact General directly in order to find out.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    I don't know about the 690 but I just got the G0555 with riser block and it took me about 15 min to get it in working order!

Jim
    But, then when you want to cut smaller stuff, do you have to remove the riser block? In other words, would I always be switching back and forth at 15 minutes a switch?

My Grizzley 0555 Riser block also took about 15 minutes to do .

You don't have to change to do small thing, just lower the upper blade guilde till it's just above the work.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    That is what I thought from the web site too. But, I asked a local dealer and they said that it did have a riser block. I hope that it doesn't and will contact General directly in order to find out.
    Frank, contacting General directly is a good idea. I'd be more inclined to believe their website, they are pretty explicit in their discription.

"The high-quality, one-piece precision machined cast-iron frame is heavily ribbed to <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><O:P style=[/img]eliminate any distortion."</O:P>
    <O:P style="MARGIN: 0px"></O:P>
    <O:P style="MARGIN: 0px">"MAXIMUM DEPTH OF CUT 12 3/4 ” (324mm)"</O:P>
    <O:P style="MARGIN: 0px">It looks like a nice BS!</O:P>
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Frank -

I think the other guys are right, you won't need one. It has enough capacity as bulit.

But if you end up with a saw that does - The one in my Jet 14" was very easy to install. The riser kits come with the riser block, an extended guide post and longer blade guards. No need to remove the riser block for thin work, just move the post down and cut away.

Regards,
    ted

Thumbs up

Liek Ted, my 14" Jet was a snap to retrofit and I have found the mod worth the effort.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Frank,

That's one of the bandsaw's I was looking at also. It was my understanding it did not have the riser option because it did 12+" and was one piece. The General 690 is the only one piece saw, that I could find, that was cast iron instead of steel. Does anyone know why? Am I wrong? How does a cast iron one piece compare to steel? So many questions, so little time.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Frank,

That's one of the bandsaw's I was looking at also. It was my understanding it did not have the riser option because it did 12+" and was one piece. The General 690 is the only one piece saw, that I could find, that was cast iron instead of steel. Does anyone know why? Am I wrong? How does a cast iron one piece compare to steel? So many questions, so little time.John
    John,
    Comparing steel and iron is a mixed bag. generally speaking, steel is more rigid but iron has better vibration damping characteristics. Far more important than which material is used is the question of design. We have very large machine tools that are primarily fine-grain grey iron. Where more strength is needed they use ductile iron. What do we use for workholding fixtures? About 85% of the time it is steel. The point is to look at design and construction. How much cross section is there to counteract blade tension? How big is the footprint between the bolts holding components together? These types of explorations will generally tell you more than the material will. With good design, great tools can be made with either material, and, conversely, neither material can rescue a poor design.

Frank,
    Somehow your posts have always brought out the best in us. The opinions about tools, electrical, DC, construction technique, etc. have always been presented in a true spirit of cooperation. The book idea has some merit. Perhaps an appendix highlighting the SMC contributions, thus illustrating how effective this forum can be in dessiminating collective wisdom, would add another dimension. I don't know if that would violate any publishing 'rules' regarding the reprinting of forum content. Just a thought.

Greg

Ditto on Greg's thoughts . . .

Greg, you are so right.

I visited with an older woodworker a copule months ago--gave me a nice Walnut and let me saw it up in his yard. Sadly, he doesn't do much woodworking nowadays due to health but he did show me around his shop.

He does still tinker and rebuild old machinery and has several lathes, planers and jointers of the heavy castiron variety--won't come off any though

Of particular note is his resaw/bandsaw home built out of heavily laminated and gussetted plywood with 28" wheel and a 5 hp direct drive motor. He has a tension meter and this plywood bandsaw was easily holding as much as I typically put on my Woodmizer. It cut great and had little vibration due to the huge chunks of mahogany he had it bolted-to/sitting-on. The whole construction is heavily bolted on well-specified centers/patterns.

It wasn't quite as sweet as the old 7.5 HP direst drive 36" American Woodworking Machinery that came with my shop though

""MAXIMUM DEPTH OF CUT 12 3/4 ” (324mm)"

I think you will find they are talking about the distance between the blade and the side where you put the riser. That dimension is the maximum width that you can cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McAtee
    ""MAXIMUM DEPTH OF CUT 12 3/4 ” (324mm)"

I think you will find they are talking about the distance between the blade and the side where you put the riser. That dimension is the maximum width that you can cut.
    Mac, what you are describing would be the width of cut, would it not? According to the General web site, the maximum width of cut is 14.75 inches.

I still have not heard back from General, but I have talked to some more folks who say they think (they do not actually own the saw) that there is no riser in the General 690.

Frank,

I've been trying to find a place to see a General 690. Do you know where? Is there a place in Toronto? Also, has anyone on the U.S. side of the border bought a General or General Int. tool, and if so, where? One last question Frank, how did you come to pick the 690. For the price, does it concern you that the throat size is only 14.75? I guess that was two questions! Eh!!

John