Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question re Bandsaw Riser Blocks

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Frank,
    I've been trying to find a place to see a General 690. Do you know where? Is there a place in Toronto?
    One last question Frank, how did you come to pick the 690.
    For the price, does it concern you that the throat size is only 14.75? I guess that was two questions! Eh!!
    John
    I have not seen a General 690, nor do I know where to see one. Hence my apparent ignorence about whether the saw does or does not require a riser block for 12.75 re-saw. I have seen the General 490 at a dealer (Markham Industrial) very close to my home. The 490 is similar to the 690, except that it has an (even) smaller motor and a smaller re-saw capacity.

The main attraction of the General 690 is that it is entirely made in Canada and I have heard nothing but good things about General's Canadian-made machines. My high school had a lot of General stuff and it really stood up to the abuse that we gave it. Other things I like are: (1) the cast iron construction making it likely that their claim of no vibration is true; (2) the tension adjustment indicator on the 490 looked good to me. The thnig that concerns me is that the motor is only 1.5 horsepower.

I would prefer more than 14.75, but it is not a show stopper.

Frank,

I also would be concerned about the lack of hp. My 14" Delta had a 1.5 hp motor and no riser block. It would resaw 5.5" boards but it was a slow tedious process. I almost bought a riser block and a larger motor for it but after finding out what they would cost and after figuring out what the Delta would resell for, I opted for just buying a bigger saw.

Maybe it would be possible for General to sell you the saw with a bigger motor if you paid extra for it. Your local dealer might do the change over (for a price) just to get the sale. It never hurts to ask.

Frank,

I've noticed in the reviews that sometimes one bandsaw's 1.5 hp can be considerably more powerful that the next 1.5 hp. I, also, have heard nothing but praise for General products. Besides, that little maple leaf flag decal sure looks cool!!

John

Frank,

Just got off the phone with "The WoodSource" in Grand Rapids, MI. They handle General and General Int. They only had the 490 along with a number of General Int. bandsaws. He did say they had trouble selling the General line because of price and apparent lack of features. However, he said, while the General line does have a much better fit and finish, the real difference is seen when you start taking them apart. He said they're worth every penny and are quality throughout. Just so happens I'll be going through Grand Rapids on my way to Chicago this week. I'm going to stop and take a look. I'll let you know what I think.

John