Thread: Need advice on spraying Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo

Need advice on spraying Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo

I'm spraying (HVLP) some built in dining room cabinets with Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo (waterbourne paint). I've sprayed out some test pieces with 15% XIM extender added and the finish is smooth and flat...looks great. Here's my question: I plan to final coat with General Finishes Clear Poly. Do I sand the final coat of the Satin Impervo prior to applying the clear poly, or apply the poly over the Impervo and then sand before applying a second final coat of poly?

Thanks
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo is a quality alkyd resin - enamel. It is harder and more colorfast than the poly you want to put on top. Poly is for floors.

Just add another coat of paint and skip the poly altogether. Touchups if needed wil be much easier too.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Scott, I purchased the GF Enduro Clear Poly on the advise of both Jeff Jewitt and the General Finishes rep to use as a top coat for the Impervo Latex Acrylic in a kitchen cabinet application. I thought I'd use the same schedule for the dining room cabinets which are immediately adjacent to where the new painted kitchen cabinets will be.

Below is a product description indicating the Enduro Clear Poly is tougher and more durable than the Clear Acrylic. Also note the GF Clear Poly is advertised as non-yellowing. Perhaps you were referring to another Poly product that is used on floors (Varathane perhaps?).

As for ease of touch up, you bring up a good point. However, I believe the cabinets will be more durable with the Enduro top coat Vs the Impervo top coat. I've been told Impervo would not be the best choice for kitchen cabinets.

It's really frustrating being ignorant about this stuff...I guess I'll learn from which ever way I go

Enduro Clear Poly - Tougher than the Clear Acrylic, Clear Poly has better durability and overall toughness. Water clear and non-yellowing with a high solids content for rapid build
    Last edited by scott vroom; 10-26-2010 at 7:55 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo is a quality alkyd resin - enamel.
    BM has both oil based and water borne versions of the Impervo product. The water borne is a 100% acrylic, although they stupidly put the word "latex" on the label because to many folks that means "water borne/water base".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If it's the water clean-up finish the top coat will improve durablity; if it's the oil based finish I stand by my recommendation. Jim B. do you agree?

EDIT: I see that you did say water-borne I missed that, sorry.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 10-27-2010 at 11:52 PM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    If it's the water clean-up finish the top coat will improve durablity; if it's the oil based finish I stand by my recommendation. Jim B. do you agree?
    I was surprised as anyone to learn that Benjamin Moore has a water base acrylic and calls it Satin Impervo. It's not an alkyd product so it shouldn't be the same name. It really hacks me that manufactures change a product entirely and keep the name the same. It's either Alkyd Impervo or Acrylic Impervo. They both can have a satin finish, but they are not the same.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Phil, I can see your point about Benjamin Moore using the "Satin Impervo" name for both the alkyd and the acrylic version. On the other hand, they undoubtedly feel they are just offering a formula choice for a product that is intended for similar use. With more and more focus on VOC, I suspect that we'll start to see this more in the marketplace as pressure increases to move away from oil-based/solvent-based products.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Phil, I can see your point about Benjamin Moore using the "Satin Impervo" name for both the alkyd and the acrylic version. On the other hand, they undoubtedly feel they are just offering a formula choice for a product that is intended for similar use. With more and more focus on VOC, I suspect that we'll start to see this more in the marketplace as pressure increases to move away from oil-based/solvent-based products.
    Probably so, Jim. More pressure based on politics and juck science. When alkyd goes so goes quality. Both in looks and durability.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain