Thread: Diameter of Lie Nielson long handles

Diameter of Lie Nielson long handles

A friend has agreed to make me 5 long handles for my Lie Nielson bevel edged chisels

Can any one who has the handles tell me the diameter of the handles

regads Brian

Diameter is relative...

The diameter of the handle is relative to the user's hand. If you have big hands have them made to suit your touch. If you have small hands then a smaller diameter is better. A small hand might like a 3/4 inch where as a big hand might like a 1 1/4 inch... It's a personal thing.

An idea is to go to the borg and pick up the dowels they have. Find one that's comfortable to you and that will be a good starting point. You'll want some sweep or curve to the handles but not much and some hand groves or such.

Some like flats on the handles so that they won't roll off the bench so easily. Look at the London pattern Ashley Isles for an idea about this. Bigger bladed chisels also usually are bigger in girth and length.

The tapered socket end has to match the LN blade socket... I state this just in case I misunderstand your question. It's interesting that LN doesn't state their diameters. If you send Mr. Neilsen and email he will tell you exactly as he's a very helpful person.

Enjoy the shavings !