Thread: Liability Waiver

Liability Waiver

I have a customer who wants to engrave on a high-end guitar. I believe the process will work however the liability does worry me a bit. I want to have a waiver that he would sign should something go wrong. What do others do in this situation? Does anyone have any examples?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I provide one as standard fair on the back of my quotes... signature on the quote denotes understanding of all fine print.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

i don't do engraving, but in a prior business I was involved in, a liability waiver in the amount of fees was provided as part of the working contract.

Basically, if we screwed up, the work didn't cost the client anything. If the client wouldn't sign the liability waiver, we did not seek exceptions or language changes, it wasn't worth the risk and we moved on.

Whatever he signs, the customer will be VERY upset if his guitar is messed up!

Best to charge enough upfront that if the job goes wrong you can afford to replace the guitar

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hunter View Post
    Whatever he signs, the customer will be VERY upset if his guitar is messed up!

Best to charge enough upfront that if the job goes wrong you can afford to replace the guitar
    That rarely works... think of an iPad. Who would pay $800 for an engraving on that, just in case you mess up? A guitar valued at $4k? Try telling the customer you want $4k to engrave it and he'd laugh at you.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Be careful , often a liability waiver won't protect you depending on local law..may be best to decline the job if you not confident
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kelsey View Post
    I have a customer who wants to engrave on a high-end guitar. I believe the process will work however the liability does worry me a bit. I want to have a waiver that he would sign should something go wrong. What do others do in this situation? Does anyone have any examples?

Thanks!
    (1) Ask a local attorney in your area to draft a liability waiver.

For Example:

Acceptance of Risk and Waiver of Liability: Customer acknowledges and agrees that Company's engraving services are performed using a highly destructive laser capable of accidentally or inadvertently destroying the material being engraved. Customer assumes all risk of the material being destroyed, and acknowledges and agrees to hold the Company harmelss, and waive any and all claims against the Company resulting from the engraving of the material.

(2) Alternatively why not:
    (a) purchase the material from the customer for $1.00 "As Is".
    (b) Give the customer the option to re-purchase the same material "As-Is" after the engraving for a price = to $1.00 plus what ever you would charge for the engraving?

That way I can't see how they could have any legal claims against you if you were to destroy your own materials....

Of course, I must CMA and say you need to check with your attorney though....

Last edited by Brian Fiore; 10-28-2010 at 3:53 PM.

8. Or you could let the customer "rent" your laser so that its he who press the button

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    That rarely works... think of an iPad. Who would pay $800 for an engraving on that, just in case you mess up? A guitar valued at $4k? Try telling the customer you want $4k to engrave it and he'd laugh at you.
    Yup! I would ask the $4K (+ engraving charge) upfront and get to be laughed at - there is absolutely no way that I would do a 1-off job with that sort of risk.

Engraving 10 or 20 $4K guitars would be a different matter : although valuable, they would not be someone's personal pride, joy and possibly dream.
    Replacement would be at trade price rather than retail which would help as well.

A waver is nearly meaningless - it's a good will gesture at best. My motto is, if I can't afford to replace it, I don't laser it.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

If you are unsure of the outcome, on a job that can put you at more financial risk than any possible profit, I would decline the job. Period!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it