Thread: Beginner needs help with small shop layout and bench size

Beginner needs help with small shop layout and bench size

I am finally ready to set up shop! I've wanted dedicated workspace for years, and now that we've purchased a home (and I finally got all of the boxes out of the garage), it's time for me to get set up. I'll be using basically half of the two car garage for my workspace.

My area to work with is 8'x20'. This is half of the garage, so I have two walls to work with. I'm going to be working on small projects (shopmade tools, small boxes, desktop humidors, etc) at first, but ultimately I want to create furniture and perhaps scratch build a few guitars as well. I am going to use mostly hand tools at first as I don't have the funds or skills for a lot of machines and power tools. I will use the power tools I already have (circular saw and jigsaw) for cutting large stock or sheet goods down to size.

I need some guidance on the placement and size of the workbench primarily. I'm sure there are things to take into consideration that I won't think of as a novice, so I'm looking for some advice. I don't know if I would be better served in this space with a workbench against the 8' wall, against the 20' wall, or out in the center of the space. I'm also not sure how big the bench should be.

Most of the joiner bench plans I have found are in the neighborhood of 60"x20" which seems a bit small to me. Then again, I'm new to all this so that may well be the perfect size.

My current idea is that it might be best for me to build a roughly 60"x20" bench on the 8' wall for now that will serve as an all-purpose bench while I'm learning. My thinking is that if my projects begin to require more space I can then build a larger bench that floats in the center or is along the 20' wall. The smaller original bench would then become a dedicated guitar bench (I'm a guitarist and I do all my own setup, repair, and modification work, so that would be useful anyway). This sounds like a good plan in my head, but I'm new to this so I could be missing some important things. I'm currently using an old desk as a workbench, but it really isn't robust enough to work on much so I need to build a good bench to get started.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dustin Keys

My workbench is approx 20 x 60 and the width has never been a problem, but I frequently wish it was longer. I would suggest that whatever size bench you pick, make it easily mobile. That way you can put it in whatever orientation you need at any given time. I find the need to move mine frequently as it shares a 12 x 24 space with a table saw, radial arm saw, band saw, drafting table, workbench with drill press and lumber (it's amazing how much stuff you can fit into a small space).

Make it mobile? I hadn't really thought much about that. I have always seen work benches as static objects in a shop. How would you suggest I do that?

I did think about putting locking casters on it earlier in my planning, but I quickly dismissed this idea as I thought I would lose too much stability. Was I wrong? It would be nice to be able to move it around, but I also want a stable, solid surface to work on.

Dustin

Dustin,

You sure love to ask the tough questions. As far as a workbench. I dont know if casters are really the way you want to go, but, that's up to you. Personally, I do a lot of hand cut mortising. I need a bench that can take a beating. It also needs to be heavy enough to not jiggle around while I am using hand planes or saws.
    I saw a murphy workbench on the woodwhisperer site. http://thewoodwhisperer.com/the-murphy-workbench/ this might be helpful in a small space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Keys View Post
    Make it mobile? I hadn't really thought much about that. I have always seen work benches as static objects in a shop. How would you suggest I do that?

I did think about putting locking casters on it earlier in my planning, but I quickly dismissed this idea as I thought I would lose too much stability. Was I wrong? It would be nice to be able to move it around, but I also want a stable, solid surface to work on.

Dustin
    Wow, someone has the same sized shop as me! Well, almost, mine is 8'x22'. When I started my shop, last year, I built 2 8'x30" benches down the left wall. The back one got taken down when I upgraded to a real table saw (R4511). Now, I plan to build a proper bench, mobilized, and tear down the other.

One thing I've learned about a shop this size, is that you want EVERYTHING to be mobile! Every time I work on a project, I re-arrange things differently based on the task at hand.. mobility is very important in a small shop!

Also, WW has some good reading in this article. http://thewoodwhisperer.com/should-i...y-a-workbench/

Here is the layout of my basement shop. The room is actually a little longer than the dimensions (there are built-in shelves at the one end for storage). It is tight. I have to move the bandsaw frequently, often moving it from the shop altogether. The workbench was built from the New Yankee Workshop plans; if memory is correct it is about 20-24 inches wide by about 60 long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

quick 2 x 6 side bench

Here are a couple pictures of my side bench. I just used 2 x 6's and the 6 I used for the top were left full length. It's not real heavy but it is stable.
    I can send pdf's of the cut list if interested.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

If you dont already know about it, grizzly offers a free shop layout planner.
    http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

Fold down bench

Same situation with the half of a two car garage.

I did the fold down bench from the Shopnotes plan. I put it along the wall closer to the garage door. I find myself setting up "benches" to the sides in my work areas where I set down tools and such. Makes a kind of U shaped work cell.

In theory, and under duress, It would be possible to park my jeep in the garage. I made sure everything was as mobile as possible. I have a ramp that I put down to get the table saw and jointer down from the raised portion at the front of the garage. Built mobile bases from oak with four way locking casters.

Here is my shop layout. Clockwise from 12

workbench - harbor freight (I hate it, its junk)
    mini bench/table - homemade from 2x4s solid as a brick
    Grizzly 17" bandsaw - great tool
    small bench - shop built 2x4 and ply
    On the small bench is my stereo and laptop, plus small drill press*.
    The drill press has a pivoting head, so I dont really see a need to upgrade to a floor standing model anytime soon.
    Rigid oscillating spindle sander on top of craftsman roller tool chest
    Rigid 6" jointer
    beagle puppy - has mobile base and tends to be in the least convenient spot, and never where I left it.
    Delta contractors table saw. I hate it.
    I keep my sliding comp miter saw, planer, and finishing supplies in the closet.
    Most small tools go in the craftsman chest
    There is usually about 2 inches of wood shavings and dust on the floor, but I didn't see an icon for that. I am using it in place of floor mats. I also couldnt find icons for all the clutter crap I have scattered everywhere. It looks like a war zone.

My work bench is one I made from a New Yankee Workshop book. It's basically 2x4 with a plywood and sacrificial hardboard top. I was surprised at how sturdy it is. It is pretty light so I drag where ever I need easily. The lack of mass does cause problems sometimes.

Here's a link that talks about casters on workbenches. Try the forum search for more ideas.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21790

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Keys View Post

Dustin

Dustin, welcome to the Creek and to the wonderful world of outfitting a shop. You'll get lots of ideas and suggestions here and I don't want to miss the opportunity to provide one also:

Don't get paralysis of analysis. Get started, enjoy the process and do some projects. Shops are living, moving, changing organisms. Part of the fun is continuous improvement to layout, workflow, storage, benches and tools.

All the best, Tom, in Douglasville, on shop arrangement 2.0835B.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.