Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Escape

Escape

Sometime back I was passing by Mark Cothrens house and stopped in to say hi. I was going to steal some wood but he was watching me to close. As I was leaving he reached down and picked up a really crappy looking piece of wood (Walnut)that he had used for years as a block to lay logs on as he cut them up with his chainsaw. Anyway I decided I better do something with it. All came from a 3" x 6" x 6" piece of that ugly walnut, including the finial. I've included a photo of the piece setting atop another 3" x 6" x 6" piece of the same wood. All comments/critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Freakin Fabulous! Great great great!

Escape

Keith,
    that is gorgeous.Love the shape ,the finial is perfect.Mark got any more of that throw away wood? I need rejects like that.
    Greg

very nice.....

Great looking HF and some wonderful grain in the wood.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns View Post
    Sometime back I was passing by Mark Cothrens house and stopped in to say hi. I was going to steal some wood but he was watching me to close. As I was leaving he reached down and picked up a really crappy looking piece of wood (Walnut)that he had used for years as a block to lay logs on as he cut them up with his chainsaw. Anyway I decided I better do something with it. All came from a 3" x 6" x 6" piece of that ugly walnut, including the finial. I've included a photo of the piece setting atop another 3" x 6" x 6" piece of the same wood. All comments/critiques welcome.
    He Keith I like that "ugly piece" on top a hell of a lot better than the one it is sitting on

You certainly did a awesome job on it, fabulous
    Have fun and take care

The ugly duckling is certainly now a swan. Very nice! Love the finial.

Keith, that Mark Cothren just has no respect for fine wood!! That really made a wonderful HF, and the manner in which you did the lid/finial really lets the void in the wood take center stage. I suspect the "stand" for that one has a similar future.

Another example from you guys with the eye (and talent) to incorporate a flaw and put it to good use. I would have cut around and turned it down to probably a thimble size, and then pitched it. Beautiful piece!!

That is really cool looking! I tell you, the things that people throw away...! What did the piece look like that you were attempting to steal? It couldn't have been any nicer than this?

WOW! As usual your typical turning has the rest of us hoping that someday we will get to that point in our turning! Beautiful work Keith - thanks for sharing!

One of these days I will have to find a way to arrange lessons!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Well, that proves one man's trash in another man's treasure! Beautiful cinderella piece,

Beautiful piece of wood and a great use of that crack. I will have to try and remember the possibilities the next time I toss a piece that looks like that one probably used too!

Very nicely done Keith!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nicely done Keith. That sure is a purdy for such a ugly piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.