Thread: Shop fox spiral head planer

Shop fox spiral head planer

Is this the same as the Grizzly? Is it higher end? Is the castins better? How does it compare to PM15HH?

Not positive, but it is my impression that the Shop Fox line is NOT as good as Grizzly. That said, every manufacturer has its gems and its lemons. So, I can't say for sure if the Shop Fox 15" planer is better or worse than the Grizzly 15" planer.

How does it compare to the Powermatic planer? Well, while most of these machines are made not only in the same country, but all/most come from the exact same plant, if you asked me, I would say that the Powermatic brand stands higher on the quality scale than Grizzly. HOWEVER, Grizzly's customer service is just about unbeatable. My experience with PM has been okay, but not overwhelming. Not knowing much about the PM planer, it may be virtually the same machine, it might be head and shoulders above. But I would say that they are probably made in the same plant with different specs, bells, and whistles. I would say to compare the HP and features of the two and see which one suits you better. My guess is that the Grizzly is less expensive. They are also tried and true.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Hi Barry

I have lots of Shop Fox machines. Sometimes they're identical to Grizzly and sometimes they aren't. It's true that both companies are owned by the same entity but there are often differences besides the paint. You pretty much have to call Woodstock Int'l and speak to a tech person to be sure.

For instance, I have the 17" bandsaw which looks just like the Grizzly but has all different components, so none of the parts are interchangeable.

As for Powermatic, they are owned by the same entity which owns Jet, so there are probably more be similarities there. It is hard to imagine being disappointed with any spiral head planer though. You could try a search to see if there are any specific complaints about individual company's models.

Blog Entries
    Its been said many times; buy the tool, not the brand. I would just look for owners of the SF and the others and see how they rate them after the "new car smell" has worn off.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler