Thread: Stock Feeder HP

Stock Feeder HP

I am considering getting a stock feedr for my 5HP 43-454 Delta Shaper, if I can find one at a reasonable price. I will be running stock for 1 3/4 and 2 1/4" exterior panel doors. Is there a rule of thumb for determing what HP one requires? I have looked at feeders from 1/4 HP to 1HP and there is a substantial price difference. Any suggestions?

1 hp would be the standard with a 3 or 5 hp shaper. 1/4 hp would be suitable for a router table. You don't want to have to do multiple passes. Stock wheels are not very good. After awhile you should get better wheels from Western Roller.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    1 hp would be the standard with a 3 or 5 hp shaper. 1/4 hp would be suitable for a router table. You don't want to have to do multiple passes. Stock wheels are not very good. After awhile you should get better wheels from Western Roller.

+1. A 1/4 hp "baby" power feeder is underpowered for heavier stock.

Just get the 1 HP and be done with it if you are using this shaper much. If you are just doing occasional projects, the 1/4 HP feeder (not Versafeeder, but real baby power feeder) is OK. I had one for a while and it functioned pretty well with the slower feed gears.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Just get the 1 HP and be done with it.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

1/2 hp will raise panels, but the price difference between that and 1hp is marginal, so I suggest don't mess around and start with 1hp. The 1/4hp is too small for making doors and many other shaper tasks, maybe better suited to light ts operations or the router table. A 1/4 hp might do it on a small shaper for cabinets, not so much for large double sided raised panels.

I have a 1/2 HP 3 wheel feeder which works fine for my application (Home shop).

Once you get to the 1/2 HP feeder size you have the larger columns and a rigid enough structure to accept the forces involved with holding and pushing larger pieces.

1/2 HP is 16,500 pound feet per minute, that's a lot of wood moved per minute.

Regards, Rod.

Thanks. Guess I'll be shoping for a 1hp. Does any brand stand out above the others (of thoise in the same price range)? Seems to be a lot of Deltas out there, are the Shopfox and Grizzly as good?

Yes, there are brands that stand out, just not the ones you mentioned.

Try Maggi/Steff for standout feeders..........Rod.

feeders

In my opinion if you want to buy the feeder once buy a Steff. The Felder feeders are made by Steff Maggi. The F38 is a really nice feeder. It’s marked down in the catalog to $984.48, and with the fall sale I believe there is an additional 10% off.

Specs,
    1 hp, 3 wheels, 8 speeds with advanced tilting head.

If the feeder was set up all the time or I did a lot of shaper work, I would get a four wheel.

If any one is looking for wheels http://www.westernroller.com/
    Last edited by Carl Knapp; 10-30-2010 at 7:51 PM.

I own a comatic made Delta branded 1hp 3-wheel feeder. It is on a Laguna T1002S shaper which is a very large 5hp tilting head shaper (think four cabinet saws setup 2X2 - see the cabinet saw size 5hp delta shaper in the back left of the pic for size comparision). It works perfectly for my shaper and I have not had to replace the wheels yet.

Tools plus sells it (model 36-851) for $899 and shipping is only $6,50 and these things are over 100lbs so that is an awesome shipping dollar amount. The four wheel is $1199.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

[QUOTE=Carl Knapp;1546966]In my opinion if you want to buy the feeder once buy a Steff. The Felder feeders are made by Steff Maggi. The F38 is a really nice feeder. It’s marked down in the catalog to $984.48, and with the fall sale I believe there is an additional 10% off.

Got a link or site to order from?
    Thank You
    Ed