Thread: Dado in laminated table?

Dado in laminated table?

I'm building a new drill press table and need to cut dadoes for the t-track channels. The table has Wilsonart laminate on both top and bottom. The dado's final dimensions will be 1 1/4"wide x 1/2"deep
    What method would give me the cleanest formica edges? Using a dado set in my tablesaw or routing the groove? If routing is best, what bit is best to use.

It depends on the quality of your dado set or router bit but if you used a down-cutting spiral bit that would probably produce the cleanest edges. It requires a little more tedious setup than the table saw but if I were doing it that's what I'd use just because the laminate is already there. If the laminate weren't there I'd use the dado set. If you use the router, make sure to take light depth passes.

I just thought of another way. If you have a melamine/laminate blade for your table saw you could cut the groove edges with that blade and nibble out the middle with whatever blade you want.

Brandon's second post is what I would do. But then I already have the plastics/laminate blade. It gives you the cleanest cut for laminate. I would cut both outside edges, then clean the middle out with the dado blade. Just be sure to do some test cuts in scrap wood to get the depth set right between the two blades!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I would either use a dado blade with a zero clearance throat plate or a down cut spiral router bit.

Rick