Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oneida Drum Fill Sensor Install

I use an ebay bin-indicator wired to an industrial panel-mount flashing light/beeper. I've had a rotating flasher, then this and neither have been perfect. The light can be hard to see unless it is in your field of vision. The beeper isn't really loud enough with the cyclone and planer running while wearing hearing protection. That said, I may not see/hear them right away, but eventually I do and it still saves me from an overflow. I've got an industrial strobe someone gave me because it needs a new bulb but haven't gotten around to ordering one yet. Maybe today is the day.

A bell like a loud phone ringer would be an ideal solution based on the fact I can hear my new loud phone ringers even running the router, DC, and wearing hearing protection.

I briefly had a relay to shut down the DC on a full condition. With my level indicator, that happens at "pretty full" but there's still room to finish running a board through whatever tool its in. Even a minor overfull situation is much preferable to losing DC with 1' of an 8' board into the planer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    Could you not just look in and see how much dust is in there?
    If you remember. If you forget, going from full drum to packed cyclone and filter doesn't take long at all. You can fill a drum unbelievably quick just planing material for a single project. Cleanup is time consuming, messy, and the overflow is potentially damaging to the filter. Manufacturers are finally realizing that a less expensive, less industrial solution for this problem is a hot seller.

Blog Entries
    I kind of like the system. My shop is pretty small, a 2 car garage, with the dust collector local, I mounted the flashing light near the dust collector and it can easily seen from anywhere in the shop.

Per the instructions the idea is for the light to flash once the dust reaches a few inches below the lid of the drum. There is some adjustment to the sensor. This works ok for me and I dont really need the dust collector shut down feature.

I can see where people with larger shops and remote dust collectors could use an audible alarm, brighter strobe, and a shut down feature. The systen "as is" is pretty good for a small shop in my opinion.

I installed it last Saturday so performance wise I wont know for a few weeks.

There are no electrical connections to make at all. If you see my Pic #1 thats just how it comes out of the box. Installation is really easy:

1. Mount the Flashing Light.
    2. Adust the sensor.
    3. Mount the Sensor to the Drum.
    4. Plug into nearest 120 Volt Source
    PHM

Paul,
    Does the sensor itself have a manufacturers name? I would prefer to just buy a sensor and wire it myself.
    Thanks, Steve

I looked at it but balked at the price. My V2000 is installed as high up against my 10' ceiling as I could get it. I bought the steel drum with the drum dolly and extended the 7" clear duct down to the drum. It is about 3' long and gives me a good visual to see if the dust is climbing up the clear tube into the cyclone. If you have to look at the light, I guess I can look at the tube after each board to see if I need to empty the drum. So far, no problem. If the clear tube becomes cloudy, and I cannot see the sawdust, then I will look at this item.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    I looked at it but balked at the price. My V2000 is installed as high up against my 10' ceiling as I could get it. I bought the steel drum with the drum dolly and extended the 7" clear duct down to the drum. It is about 3' long and gives me a good visual to see if the dust is climbing up the clear tube into the cyclone. If you have to look at the light, I guess I can look at the tube after each board to see if I need to empty the drum. So far, no problem. If the clear tube becomes cloudy, and I cannot see the sawdust, then I will look at this item.
    With your setup you could use my DIY high dust alarm. If you can wire a table lamp you can build one with big box store parts costing less than $20. There is a post about in this SMC thread at this link..

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Not at this time. Oneida already has the market. I know we can beat their price, but at this point I'm not inclined to seek out another licensee. I guess Witter believed me when I said there was a market for a simpler and less expensive unit than the expensive synchronous motor stalled impeller bindicator they used to sell.

Once my primary project hits the market (still at least a month or two away) and I have made attempts to license my two other designs, maybe I'll reconsider the high dust alarm.
    Alan, I'd really like to encourage you to stay on this project .... I am not satisfied with the Oneida design and yours looks like you read my mind!

Blog Entries
    Well I've used it a few months now and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. The dust gets within a few inches of the top of the drum and the light starts flashing.

You probably wont have to stop whatever your doing as there are a few inches to spare before you're at the top of the drum. Suits me ok.

It seems to me that if you waited until the drum was overfull and the dust was climbing up the hose it would be a pretty messy (Dusty) bag change and thats what I'm trying to avoid.

PHM

Paul,
    Does the sensor itself have a manufacturers name?

Steve

Blog Entries
    Steve,

The sensor is made by Aotoro. Model number seems to be #2AC49328 but the decal broke in half when I was trying to read it. I think its 24 Volt AC.

I visited their site. They make a lot of this kind of stuff. You never know, Do enough research and you might wind up with better components.

Good luck with it.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 01-28-2011 at 6:00 PM.

I also installed the Oneida alarm. As the bin gets closer to full, the blue light flickers. I guess you wait until it's mostly on. I checked the drum after it started flickering and it was about 5" from full. The instructions say suspended dust will cause flickering. Jury is still out for me.