Thread: how would you guys rate a powermatic 64A?

how would you guys rate a powermatic 64A?

I have put in quite a few hours on a model 66, my only complaint was
    the dust collection. Is the 64A designed for a dust collector, or do you
    have to build it in yourself? Also the accufence looks like a biesemeyer, is
    it as good? My reason for asking is amazon.com has it on sale for 769.99
    with the 100$ coupon, course you have to use it by 4-30-05.
    Jim

I have an older (4-5 years or so) 64A. Using a full kerf blade, it has done anything and everything I have asked of it. I have cut formica sheets and resawed 5" hard maple and all in between. The Accu-Fence is every bit as good as a Bies. I like my fence facing better than the current UHMW facing. Mine is laminate covered ply. I think the ply is flatter and stays flatter than the UHMW. Dust collection - it is a contractors saw. At best you have to use the bottom plate with a 4" hose outlet, close off the back opening around the motor and still hope for the best.

All this said, when I bought mine it was because of a good deal. At the time they were about $800 new. I was going to buy a Griz 1023S (didn't offer the SL back then) for about the same monies. I ran across a deal for the 64A used (less than ten hours) in excellent condition for $600. Looking back, I am happy with my decision but realize that someday, maybe, I might trade up to a cabinet saw. Until then I will cut whatever I have to on the 64A, experience no problems, and be happy.

George

I have a 3 yr old 64A and agree with George on all points. Especially the excellent fence, which is a delight to use. But lose the UHMW facing because it is not flat.

A few other notes:

I got the 50" fence rails with the router lift in the extension. The lift if fine, but the extension table is not very flat. The included router fence is marginal at best. I would avoid the router lift/extension option.

The blade guard is nasty, and was quickly discarded. I just use a zero clearance insert with a splitter pin.

The solid cast iron wings are a nice feature.

In balance, while I would prefer to have a cabinet saw with a riving knife, my 64A has not been a limitation. I have not seen a better contractor's saw.

Thanks for the advice. Was considering the Grizzly, but the 64A is priced
    right. Would really like a unisaw but price is prohibitive. My old craftsman
    is a left tilt and would like to keep that feature, but my old fence is off an
    antique unisaw, and was old and used when I bought the saw 30 years ago.
    The old craftsman is just not worth putting a new fence on, so thought I
    would just get a new saw with a good fence. Jim