Thread: finishing questions

finishing questions

Several questions about finishes on various woods I’m using to making jewelry boxes.

I’ve heard a good finish for walnut is BLO, followed by amber shellac to add a warm tone, and then a final finish. Does the shellac have to be de-waxed? Is paste wax suitable as a final finish? I’m looking for a satin finish, and since it’s for a jewelry box so it doesn’t need to be overly durable.

For finishing figured maple, I’m planning to use aniline dye to add some contrast to the figure or eyes, then BLO, and then possibly shellac. Doe this sound reasonable? Again, does the shellac need to be de-waxed?

On mahogany, I’ve heard BLO will bring our the luster in the wood. What should I put on after the BLO?

Is there anything special I need to know for finishing spalted maple? Seems I read where spalted woods will soak up more of the finish than unspalted wood.

Also, is it okay to store Watco in a glass jar? I found it very difficult to pour it out of the original can without slopping it all over the place. What about shellac? I know you can’t store it in a metal container since it will react with the metal.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

George

Dewax?

Shellac doesn't have to be dewaxed (unless you are topcoating w polyurethane) but it is a good idea. It helps adhesion. Small tip: you can Dewax shellac by simply pouring through a strainer prior to use. Most flakes are dewaxed,
    Jerry