Thread: New Dust Collector

New Dust Collector

A gloat and a question.

In the following pics you will notice the placement of the dust collector. I had originally decided upon the 650cfm unit that has an inlet off the top. Wife thought I deserved a cleaner shop than that . So I get the 1100cfm unit with inlets' on the side. Hence the S curve in the plastic pipe.

I'm only pulling through 9' of 4" pipe to a mitre station. Am I likely to do any damage to the unit

Secondly, should any runs longer than this be 6" pipe? Shop is very small, longest run probably 16'. Most tools would be hooked up by moving the machine close to the unit say 10'.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

First off, congrats on the new unit.

How much space do you have above the DC? Could you build a mobile base with maybe some storage area in it to go under the unit bringing it level to your outlet? It would give you the straight flow I think you're looking for.

The other thing I noticed is if you're going to move this from machine to machine, you may want to hook it up with those quick-connect fittings rather than just hose clamps. It's not a big deal, but I find it very annoying when I'm on a roll to stop and rework the connections...Just pop it off one and on to another.

Pete

I was going to use the area above the unit for a pancake type compressor so as not to waste space there.

But I am intrigued by the quick-connect fittings, havn't seen them. Could put me onto a link for them?

Thanks
    Jim

I believe this is the type I've got...It's a friction style and it fits directly to my DC port therefore I don't need blastgate on that side. (The other half of the "Y" is attached to the TS and does have the gate. All my hoses have these on each end so in the rare case I need longer than 10', I can connected them with a coupler.

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...gory_Code=ADAP

You may find these less expensive elseware...This was the first site I found a picture. I think Woodworker's Supply has another style that locks together.

About your pancake compressor going over the DC...Isn't that going to be awkward lifting it so high? (Unless it's going to stay there..) Would fit in the space you create under the DC?

I plan on the compressor staying on the shelf over the dust collector. It's easier to lift the compressor off the shelf than the dust collector off of a raised platform, suprisingly the dust collector doesn't seem to be that stable with that big filter supported on 3 legs.

Jim, My shop is pretty small, and I ran all 4" S&D pipe. 6" mains would be better, with 4" to the tools with limited use of flex pipe. I have an article on my site that takes you through the installation process. However I have revamped it since I created the website.

Here is the link:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mywoodshop/...ect_intro.html

D

I meant putting the dust collector on a mobile platform - that way neither has to be lifted...bolt that DC down to the top, and the weight of the compressor on the bottom should help stabilize it...Just a thought...

Sorry Pete I misunderstood your suggestion. Now that is something to think about for sure.

Thanks

Dave,

The maximum run from the dust collector to the mitre saw is about 10' maximum using 4" metal heat duct. You can see it under what is to be the top at the back of the cabinets, actually behind the melamine backs of the drawers.

The adjacent wall is no longer than 16' and most of the machinery is on mobile bases. Was going to run another 4"? line from the dust collector 1/2 way down 16' wall to a blast gate then run to or move the machines with in reach of that blast gate using as short a piece of hose as possible.

Really don't see the need for 6" but could be persuaded other wise on this additional run. Rebuilding the cabinets is out of the real of possibility.

You can see the hose to connect to the top of the mitre saw bottom of base is all open to provide maximum air flow.
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 12-27-2004 at 9:20 PM.

Jim,

For space reasons I opted for the 4" too. I personally would pipe the shop and not try to make your dust collector mobile. Too much of a hassle, and S&D pipe is cheap, and quick disconnects are pricey. Also, you need to possibly rethink the small hose to your CMS. You want to run 4" as close as possible to the tools. With a CMS you need to explore other options to get most of the dust. Terry Hatfield has a nice setup on his site. I'm very happy with my 4" S&D pipe solution, I only run one tool at a time, and the only tool that has two blast gates is my table saw. One for the cabinet, the other for the overarm guard.

Let me know if you need some other assistance, I'll be gald to assist all I can.

David

Dave,

Kinda hard to see but the 4" pipe has a 1 1/2 hole cut in it to accomodate the hose on the top of the saw replacing the bag. Under the saw is a box hole about 10" in square that the 4" pipe comes into. (I'll try to find the pic of construction,) that should make it clearer. Probably going to have to make a catch box behind the saw to catch all the dust.

That hole by the 4" pipe is for a handle to close the water off as I am hiding it behind and under the cabinets.
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 12-27-2004 at 11:37 PM.

Excellent. You did a great job of hiding the dust collection under the CMS. Looks like you are well on your way. From here I'd just extend the 4" pipe along the wall and add 4" connection points for other tools. Do you have a airborne dust collector yet?