Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The journey of a minimax jointer/planer

Here is part two of this thread:

We moved back from Chicago to Edmonton in June. The day before movers came I took out the pieces of the J/P from the little storage I had stored it in (it went in with no space left around!) and started crating it in the receiving area of the building; I had arranged for a pallet jack/lift-gate truck to pick it up but when they came it was a box-truck with a long ramp. So it took 5 big guys to tilt the crate to put dollys under it and roll it up the ramp; I was glad I had secured everything inside as tilting the crate about 40 degree would have been disastrous (sorry for the bad quality photos, my cell phone is old/crappy):

110622_184501.jpg110622_201352.jpg

Here is the thing still on the truck at destination, we opened up the crate and loaded it on to the big cart/dolly I had made and then in our garage:
    04-07-11_1243.jpg04-07-11_1309.jpg

I started removing other pieces (planer bed and the motor) to lighten it up. I have removed the motor and the planer bed too, plus the thick column below the planer bed:

DSC04834.jpgDSC04836.jpg
    Basically I opened it up to its bare bone but even just the base itself was way too heavy. Hired two guys (plus the help of myself) to get it down the basement. Will worry about how to get it out of there later! Even with all the pieces removed it was still very heavy.
    Here is just the base with the jointer bed, planer bed, motor, cutter head assembly, etc all removed but in the shop:

DSC04840.jpg

I started assembling pieces back together, with the cutter-head and planer bed:

DSC04845.jpg

continued...

Then the motor and belts/chains. It was nice too see the belts are made in Germany
    (the machine itself is made in Italy).
    DSC04846.jpgDSC04849.jpg

And finally the jointer beds and fence:

DSC04850.jpgDSC04852.jpgDSC04853.jpgDSC04854.jpg

It's a very well-built machine and a little bit too heavy for my like (hard to move it with it's mobility kit). Fired it up and runs nicely.
    The only thing I haven't figured out yet is: the dust chutes are 120mm and I got 120mm to 5" reducers with the machine but installing them isn't trivial as those
    pieces get in the way of each other, unless I don't close the planer chute completely. It's a minor issue though.
    Have to set up my cyclone too and do a bit of electrical work to have the J/P and the cyclone running. Then redo the duct work, etc. Lots of work to be done yet but at least
    this beast is in its place.

Congrats on the beauty.

A nice spiral pipe drop and a section of flex to allow for changeover and you will be perfect.

I found the ruber couplings sold in the plumbing isle make quick connect fittings for 120MM to flex easy.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have a SCM 520S planer with a Tersa head, and one of the things I love about it is the noise level. It is quiet! With it running you can talk in a normal tone standing right next to it, and even when planing it is quiet as long as the knives are sharp.

Very nice machine, congrats......

Next new machine in my shop will be an F1.

Larry

Hey...looks just like mine!! (Except for the "pork chop" guard...I bought a Euro guard for mine-- and the fact that your's is MUCH cleaner. LOL) Congratulations on finally getting that beautiful machine home and ready to rock 'n roll in your shop!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim.

Since then I have added a remote digital read out for height adjustment to the planer. Used it a bit today (still haven't setup my cyclone). It's a great machine and the chips it spews out are huge!