Thread: New to me jointer

Talking New to me jointer

I don't know what year it was made but it is a model 113.232240 Craftsman Contractor Series 6 1/8 Inch 2.5 hp Jointer Planer that I found on craigslist for $100.00. I have not found a lot on the internet about it but there sure are a lot folks out there that will sell you a manual. I did find that the 113 designation means it was made by Emerson tools and they made the rigid 3660 table saw I have and love.

As you can see by the pics it was a mess, but it was only surface rust and well some wd40, bar keepers friend (learned of this stuff thanks to many post on this wonderful site), 00 steel wool and lots of elbow grease took care of that. I bought a jointer pal and it's going back, I found that I can do a much better job with a little patience and dial indicator on a magnetic base. I got the base at Harbor Freight for 10 bucks and I've had an A-Line it for the table saw for awhile now. I also put an HTC mobile base, link belt and rewired it for 220 Volt with a 13' 14 gauge cord. I just put a new set of blades in it last night and finished setting the fence square. I of course made sure it would make shavings

I have seen on here where someone (name escapes me, I'm sorry) put a cake pan under with a 4" connector for dust collection, and that looks like the best way to go with it, so I'm going to give that a shot soon.

The guy I bought the jointer from still has some old iron if anyone is interested such as a PM model 45 lathe and a Craftsman model 100 pedestal table saw. These things really need to be rescued as he has them sitting in an open trailer in an open shed. He is also willing to offer them at a pretty good deal just to get them out of there. I wish I had the money to buy them but I really don't have the money to tie up till I can sell them as I would not be able to keep them do to lack of space. http://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/1975256335.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]What does a pirate dawg say?

Great rescue job!!

Go get that lathe. Thats a great lathe and you maybe able to get it fairly cheap.

That would be a good investment.

By the way, nice job on the jointer.

For the manual. Go to Sears Parts Direct and seach by Model # - 113.232240. There will be a link on the right and follow the link. You can download the manual.
    Last edited by Don Jarvie; 11-02-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Manual

VERY nice clean-up job !

Looks good!
    Here the manual, found it with a quick Google search.
    http://www.hammerwall.com/Download_Manual/19570/

Just type in the code and it will come up online.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

picked up that jointer here about a year ago on craigs list too, the manual calls for 11/16"x 61/8" blades found them on amazon for something like 20 dollars a set. So far it seems like for my purposes a good unit. I'd be interesred in how the dust collection system works out.

Congrats! Hope it will be put to great use.

Thanks folks

I have a manual that I downloaded, just thought it was funny how many you can buy on the internet with no other information available at all. Even the sears parts site is not a lot of help. I need the handwheels for the table adjustments and they don't sell them, nor do the give a size for them. I know I can order them through other sources and have just not gotten to that point yet, in fact I keep forgetting to measure the shafts so I can get the right size (any one know that so I can get it ordered before I get home tonight )

As much as I'm sure I would really love to have the PM lathe, I really just don't have the room for it. I'm really happy with my jet 1236 for now. Just wish the $225.00 price for G0632 was for real As I was leaving the other day he was talking $400, but please don't quote me on that

We have a place locally called Bargain Supply and they sell all kinds of power tools and blades so I went ahead and picked up as set of M2 HSS knives from them, little more expensive from them but if they have issues I have someone I can get my hands on and choke

It looks like your jointer is the same as the Jet JJ-6OS. I looked it up on the Jet parts site and the hand wheel is 8.25. Print off the Jet manual and do a comparision but it looks like it's the same model.

Heres the link for the handwheel. I bought the lock screws from Jet for my Reliant which is the same as the Horror Frieght. I got them in a few days.

https://parts.maam.waltermeier.com/P...x?part=jex-x18

Does it by any chance have a 5/16 square bore in the handwheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    It looks like your jointer is the same as the Jet JJ-6OS. I looked it up on the Jet parts site and the hand wheel is 8.25. Print off the Jet manual and do a comparision but it looks like it's the same model.

Heres the link for the handwheel. I bought the lock screws from Jet for my Reliant which is the same as the Horror Frieght. I got them in a few days.

https://parts.maam.waltermeier.com/P...x?part=jex-x18

I found a parts source

Ridgid has the same size handwheels , plus when I compare the parts list of the Ridgid JP0610, It's pretty much the identical Jointer. It may not be all original parts, but it will at least look like it. Plus I put together my dust collection on it last night. I will take pictures later when I get home, but I wound up making a chute out of some thin ash as opposed to the cake pan. Have to leave the side off but it works. Hot glue is a good thing