Thread: And that makes it all worth it.

And that makes it all worth it.

Back in about 2004 I built my wife a sewing station. It has a mechanical lift for the sewing machine, a fold out for her serger, plenty of desktop space, drawers, etc. She has been working on a blanket project, piecing squares together and what all. She just now came out to the workshop and told me again (for the umpteenth time) how much she loves the sewing station. I have built a lot of projects over the years but this is the one my wife loves best of all. Not to mention all the other women who come over.

PS: I got the plans from Better Homes and Gardens wood plans.
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 11-04-2010 at 7:36 PM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    You are so right Gordon.

Of all the furniture I've built over the last 25 years I have gotten the most satisfaction from 2 of the most recent pieces I've built.

I built a cherry crib for my first grandson. It was my first experience with bent wood laminations and it came out great. The second most satisfaction is for a folding step stool for my almost 3 year old granddaughter. She uses it in the kitchen to "help" mommy at the counter. She eats her breakfast and lunch standing on her stool, and gets very upset if anyone takes it down.

I also have a tradition of building recipe boxes for all the women in the family. My youngest son is getting married in December and I have already been told that a recipe box is needed.
    Wood'N'Scout

I've owed my wife one of those for quite a while, now.

Sincerely, thanks for reminding me that it's time to bump it up a bit, in the "to be built" queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    Of all the furniture I've built over the last 25 years I have gotten the most satisfaction from 2 of the most recent pieces I've built.

I built a cherry crib for my first grandson. It was my first experience with bent wood laminations and it came out great. The second most satisfaction is for a folding step stool for my almost 3 year old granddaughter. She uses it in the kitchen to "help" mommy at the counter. She eats her breakfast and lunch standing on her stool, and gets very upset if anyone takes it down.

I also have a tradition of building recipe boxes for all the women in the family. My youngest son is getting married in December and I have already been told that a recipe box is needed.
    Interesting Steve, I also have built each of my kids (I have 11) a step stool and their children and now grandchildren all use and love it. I have also given each of them a two drawer recipe box.

Your crib sounds like a great project.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    I've owed my wife one of those for quite a while, now.

Sincerely, thanks for reminding me that it's time to bump it up a bit, in the "to be built" queue.
    Your wife will love you for it Neil.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Mine usually just comes in a complains about it being too cold in the house and needs some more "custom furniture" for the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    PS: I got the plans from the New Yankee workshop.
    I'm looking on the NYWS site and can't find a sewing station. Any idea what to look for?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    Mine usually just comes in a complains about it being too cold in the house and needs some more "custom furniture" for the fireplace.

I hear you Bryan, I get some of that too but not when she is sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I'm looking on the NYWS site and can't find a sewing station. Any idea what to look for?

Thanks
    Oooops, I just went out and looked at my well drawn plans and they are from Better Homes and Gardens wood plans. The item is called "Sewing Central" and I bought all the hardware at the same time. I can't remember if the hardware came from The Wood Mall, Rockler, or some other provider. They were packaged just for this project and sure made things easier. Whether this is still the case or not I do not know.

I have made the appropriate correction to my post above.
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 11-04-2010 at 10:05 PM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post

Any chance you have pictures or plans for the step stool? My granddaughter is 2 in January, and I'd love to give her one.

Gordy

Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=7

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Gibbens View Post
    Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=7
    Yes, that is the one. My wife loves it.
    Best Regards,

Gordon