Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St James Tools

St James Tools

Does anyone have experience with St James Tool Co.? I am in need ("want" does not exist in my tool vocabulary) of a scrub plane. I am looking at the Veritas, LN, and St James. Price is of little factor on this one. I believe that LN and LV are pretty close, and the St James is cheaper than the others. It's something like a $65 dollar difference between cheapest and most expensive. So, like I said...not a huge factor. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

There is almost always a wooden German scrub plane or two of some maker on ebah.

I got a set of irons for a #46 plane from them. They shipped promptly, were friendly on the phone, the irons worked well. I've never heard anything bad about them or their products. Some of their kits look pretty cool.

Hi,

I've tried for 2 years to get some parts that they're selling. Got many times contact over mail. It seemed every time that the order was processing, and finally never got anything. Even at the end, I got no answers to my emails.
    So for me as previously said in an other thread, not a good experience with them.
    I gave up ever getting something from them.
    Maybe this is because, I live abroad, but I was clear on this point since the beginning so if it was a problem, they should have said it.

But some other people had good experience. So maybe I was not lucky.

The owner, whose name escapes me, is notoriously email adverse. You'll have better luck getting him on the phone, and he loves to talk. If what you want isn't in stock, be prepared to wait awhile for it to be made. He's not the fastest guy around.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the LN or LV, or, as a prior poster suggested, make one of your own. Turn a Stanley 5 into a scrubber by opening the mouth and seriously cambering the blade.
    Tony

What Tony says is true. Although I would like to have a Stanley #40, I do have a dogmeat post-war era Stanley #5 that has a heavily cambered blade that does everything a "true" scrub does. The #40 ranks at the top of the list of tools I really don't need.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    I too purchased a set of irons for a 46 from St James Bay and the order was filled promptly and the irons work great. Cannot ask for better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

You can also make a scrub out of an old straight rabbet plane, just look for one with a heavy iron. They are narrow and easy to grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sade View Post
    The owner, whose name escapes me, is notoriously email adverse. You'll have better luck getting him on the phone, and he loves to talk. If what you want isn't in stock, be prepared to wait awhile for it to be made. He's not the fastest guy around.
    +1 with the email
    He's a nice guy and makes pretty good stuff. Just call him though.

St. James Bay - Good Experience

I bought a St. James Bay smoother with adjustor, blade and cocobolo innards. It took me quite a while to put together as I only worked on it between other projects. The plane turned out very good. The blade is very good too. Will take 1/2 thou shavings if desired.

I also bought a custom blade from them which is in a krenov style plane. Very good price and performance.

I did have a little bit ( and I mean little ) of a challenge getting email response. I was able to phone when needed. He gave me good advice and directions when I needed them.

Over all a very satisfied customer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Terry Beadle; 11-03-2010 at 1:40 PM.

Hi all.

Well I was not aware of that, never read it anwyhere. Although he did answer me, he should have told it to me.
    I would have called.

Maybe I'll try this way to get my parts

Thanks.

Order spurs for my #39 and a few other odd ball parts. Arrived promptly and I have no complaints.

I e maild with little results, phoned Bob, we talked a lot on the phone, but no product, I phoned some more and had a few more enjoyable conversations. Eventually my plane kit came, must have been a 6 month, maybe 8 month process, maybe something was not in stock. To be fair I did not pursue fast service. So I have the kit and have not got it assembled yet so maybe we are much the same. Great guy but marches to his own beat, if that bothers you maybe you will not appreciative his finer qualities, he has a excellent product at a excellent price, hard to beat that.
    Cheers Ron.

Thumbs down St James Tool...experience

Ordered twice from him. First time he was just very slow in shipping. I thought I would give him another chance about 6 months later. It was worse..he shipped the wrong item. He would not respond to email. I called him and he agreed to correct it but after a month I contact the post office and finally got a response and satisfaction.

I got some 271 plane irons from him years ago. I also talked to him on the phone. Irons were good, and came fairly quickly.