Thread: Turning tools

Turning tools

I was fortunate enough to receive a Jet VS Mini Lathe for Christmas and need (relative term) to get some turning tools. I have been looking at Lee Valley(also got a gift certificate ) at some turning tools made by Henry Taylor. Can anyone give me any input/feedback on this brand of turning tool? I am a reasonably experienced woodworker, but an absolute novice at turning and turning equipment. I will probably start out slow with small spindle type items and then try out a small bowl.(obviously,the lathe size will dictate a lot of what I can do)

Thanks,
    Jim

Hi Jim,

Congratulations on the new lathe! It is a nice one!

Henry Taylor is a good brand of turning tool. You would not go wrong with it! What matters is that the steel be High Speed Steel, and these are.

You may also want to try the Harbor Freight set of HSS turning tools. They are cheaper, and are perfectly acceptable to learn with.

Have fun with turning!

Scott.

I agree with what Scott says and would add that Packard Woodworks has a house brand of tools that are made (I think) by one of the well known manufacturers and they carry a lower price tag. I have a couple of these and really like them.

For what it's worth from a newbie who knows nothing, I got the Henry Taylor starter set and like them. But I recently got some Crown tools (roughing gouge, bowl gouge and scraper) and I like them better. They are a lot longer and heavier. When I first got them, I thought "My gosh, these are huge for this little Jet mini!" Now I use the roughing gouge to turn pens! I use the HT spindle gouges and skew for detail stuff. Have yet to turn my first bowl...maybe next week. Get yourself a sharpening jig for the gouges (make one or buy a Wolverine)....it sure makes life simpler!

I agree with Carole. Within the next month I have to put together my new Woodcraft Grinder and Wolverine Jig. (The jig and grinder are on sale right now.) After the doctor lets me back in the shop - 8 stitches in my right hand. And I wasn't even down in the shop! Oh well, gives me time to think of things to try when I get back.

BTW - For Carole. I use my 1-1/4" Roughing Gouge for all pen turning, except the detail work. Gets rid of the excess quickly and when used correctly, gives a smooth finish. Also, time to do that bowl! Get to it, Girl! (oops, hope the "girl" part isn't offensive.)

Bruce

Hey Bruce, I'm not one of those PC people! Anyway, to be addressed as "Girl" at my age is flattery! What did you do to your hand? What a shame you couldn't even claim the ...ummm..."glory" of a shop accident!

Jim, sure you will enjoy your new mini lathe. As for the Lee Valley tools I believe they are a good place to purchase tools. Henry Taylor HSS tools are good and take a look at woodcraft as they often have sales on Sorby tools.

Another place to look is Packard Woodworks www.packardwoodworks.com

Turn safely and keep the tools sharp!

Wayne

Hi Jim,

I have been very happy with the $40 HSS set from Harbor Freight. They hold a good edge and give you a selection of tools to try to see what you use most for when you go to buy the ones that are $50+++ each. You won't buy something that sits on the shelf.

Buy the Wolverine or build a simular jig, there are several plans available. It give you a consistant repeatable shape with a very short learning curve. The repeatability means the tool cuts the same every time back from the grinder and the difference is amazing in the finished wood with sharp tools.

The other thing I would suggest is taking a class or getting a mentor to teach you some of the basics to make life much easier.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Jim,

I'm relatively new at this turning (a llittle over a year now). I started with a cheap turning set from a small store called "Just Tools" (out of business now). I made sure it was "high speed steel" My husband (who has been in woodworking longer quite a while and works with tools in his business) told me that they would hold their sharpness longer. I do believe he is right. I purchased a drill bit that was not HSS and boy was I sorry. It was junk in no time. I have been perfectly happy with my "cheap" set and have added on with other HSS "cheap" sets as well as some Sorby and Crown pieces. I figure that when I get really, really, good at this, then I will reward myself with some better tools.....they make great gift the children can buy for me on those special days (hollowing tool last Mother's Day, bowl gouge last Birthday, and 1/16" parting tool this Christmas).

Bruce, I too just got the Wolverine Jig set from Woodcraft for Christmas (from hubby). Now all I need to do is set it up and learn how to use it!

Jean

I got a very nice set of pen turning tools for christmas. They are made by crown tools.

Hope This Helps,
    Jake Byrd

BTW, there website is http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/

See Ya,
    Jake Byrd