Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gerstner Tool Chest

Blog Entries

Gerstner Tool Chest

I have two questions regarding Gerstner for those in the know.

1) What is the product difference between Gerstner USA and Gerstner International?

2) Is there a Gerstner collectors book with values available?

Thank For your input
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

As far as I know, Gerstner International, is made over seas, and instead of say white oak, would be made out of red oak.
    Here is one at sears, don't look bad for the price.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959657000P
    Tony

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    As far as I know, Gerstner International, is made over seas, and instead of say white oak, would be made out of red oak.
    Here is one at sears, don't look bad for the price.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959657000P
    Tony
    Thanks , I didn't know if the quality of construction was compromised or there was use of plywood or veneers. Gerstner USA uses all solid woods or did. I have not closely examined USA made chest's in 2 or 3 years.
    David Woodruff

Looking at the web site I noticed the international line says "veenered plywood construction" did not notice that on the Gerstner made in Dayton Ohio.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Looking at the web site I noticed the international line says "veenered plywood construction" did not notice that on the Gerstner made in Dayton Ohio.
    where did it say "veenered plywood construction" at the sears site, or at the
    Gerstner International site?
    I did not see that at the sears site.
    I thought the tops on the Ohio Gerstner's were veneer, but I could be wrong.
    Tony

Here is the one from sears at the GI site. The GI 532
    Better picture's. If you click on it, it will show you 3 other picture views.
    Don't look too bad.
    Does say
    "This red oak chest is a classic American style chest constructed entirely in solid wood"
    http://www.gerstner-international.com/STYLEgi-532.htm
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 11-03-2010 at 9:19 PM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    where did it say "veenered plywood construction" at the sears site, or at the
    Gerstner International site?
    I did not see that at the sears site.
    I thought the tops on the Ohio Gerstner's were veneer, but I could be wrong.
    Tony

Here is the one from sears at the GI site. The GI 532
    Better picture's. If you click on it, it will show you 3 other picture views.
    Don't look too bad.
    Does say
    "This red oak chest is a classic American style chest constructed entirely in solid wood"
    http://www.gerstner-international.com/STYLEgi-532.htm
    If you click on the features tab under the example you gave it says "American red oak and veenered plywood construction"

Under the features tab on their international boxes.

• American red oak and veenered plywood construction with tongue and groove joinery insures strength and durability
    • Hardwood design provides protection from moisture
    • Brown felt-lined interior provides cushioning
    • Hand rubbed stain with lacquer finish
    • Polished chrome plated hardware and rubber bumper feet - non-marring
    • Padded leather top carrying handle for ease of portability

http://www.gerstner-international.com/STYLEgi-515.htm
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-03-2010 at 9:27 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Smile I have an . . .

I have an American made Gerstner Box & have looked at the "International" clones several times.

Buy a real American Made Gerstner or build one. There is a difference in quality, especially in the long run. The real thing will last generations. The clone will not.

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Look at the wood....GI are riftsawn Red Oak, USA made ones are still QSWO.

Ed

Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-04-2010 at 12:52 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Blog Entries

Gerstner Tool Chest

Thanks for all your inputs, I have learned through these comments and additional research that the Gersterner International, GI, product should never be confused with the Gerstner USA Made chest. The wood is never QS, there is veneer, I hope not with particle board core, the cartons are stamped made in China, for Gerstner International. The US Mfg product is made in the Gerstner factory Dayton, Ohio. In my humble and occcasionally flawed opinion this type of marketing effort to generate revenue confuses the original customer base and tarnishes the equity in the Gerstner franchise. Why in hell does a fine company do this stuff, I am baffled. I am glad I asked this question in time to retract an ebay bid on a GI tool chest.
    David Woodruff

I would wager that Gerstner started the import line to provide a product for those that can't afford the "real thing" and to generate enough revenue to stay in business and keep building the USA made products.
    Also betting Gerstner never thought they would have to market their products for storage of "trinkets & junk" instead of machinists tools.

Ed

Smile I spoke . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    I would wager that Gerstner started the import line to provide a product for those that can't afford the "real thing" and to generate enough revenue to stay in business and keep building the USA made products.
    Also betting Gerstner never thought they would have to market their products for storage of "trinkets & junk" instead of machinists tools.

Ed
    I spoke to GERSTNER a year ago about this. They said it was either this or disappear. I do think they have hurt themselves by not modernizing their Dayton facility to keep prices more competitive. They still do things the same way it was done 50 years ago. A CNC router could easily give them a helping hand and still maintain quality. Face it, there are not that many people that can justify / afford $750.00 plus for a trinket box . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

It would be my guess, and bet a good guess, they had to do the international line to stay competitive. Have to use the Gerstner name on that line also to get anyone to even consider them.
    If I were going to look at the international line I would first give it a comparison to the Grizzly offerings first.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/23-O...er-Chest/H7713

Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-04-2010 at 1:39 PM.
    - Rick Dale

The on site video doing a plant tour shows a CNC router being used to dado cases for drawer runners and dividers. Pretty interesting video.

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    It would be my guess, and bet a good guess, they had to do the international line to stay competitive. Have to use the Gerstner name on that line also to get anyone to even consider them.
    If I were going to look at the international line I would first give it a comparison to the Grizzly offerings first.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/23-O...er-Chest/H7713

I have compared GI to Grizzly, still way ahead of Grizzly.
    David Woodruff