Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gerstner Tool Chest

Yeah makes sense they would not want to waste the wood.
    Dave L. do you have pictures of the box you did?

Craigs list was "good to me" yesterday.
    15 minuets from home I picked up 2, 26" machinist tool chests in pretty good shape for $200.00 for both.
    Don't think the 1st one shown, is a Gerstner, but is still pretty nice.
    I think the other one might be a a Gerstner I have to look at it better.
    Few nicks here and there, but all in all pretty good shape.
    I have to repair the rails of the front covers on both of them, but the wood is all there, won't have to make new one's , or make new rails for them.
    Some of the felt should be replaced also, but it don't need all of the felt.
    There are 2 screws in the 1st one looks like a name plate was there, but it looks like the name plate I got from the trophy shop in town for one of my other boxes ($40.00 craigs list find, I refinished it some)
    will fit right into where the two screws are. He only charged me like $5.00 or $6.00 for the tag, (so much per letter) and he will do a "one off".
    The $40.00 box is shown last.

I started writing this and then I went down and started working on them.
    Had to fix a few of the drawers on the first one.
    Started fixing the front panel, turns out the top AND bottom rail were split,
    so I knocked them apart (thank God for hide glue) and fixed the splits, have to glue the panel back together tomorrow.
    Then I picked up the case a little to move it and found the bottom rail of both sides (they are frame/panel too) had come away from the panel, so I had to fix that.
    Turned out to be an invisible repair though.
    I lightly sanded the few nicks and then wiped it down with mineral spirit's to clean it and blend the dirt into the sanded down nicks.
    Thought about a quick coat or two of shellac, I still may, as it looks like all the hardware is removable so it will be easy. The drawer pulls unscrew, not riveted like some I have seen. I will be taking this one to work, so it don't have to be 100% perfect.
    Don't see a name on this one, the front two latches say USA Excelsor Stamford Conn.
    Don't know if that's just the lock co. or what.
    Here are some pictures of the 1st one, I will write about the second one probably tomorrow, as I am getting tired.
    I have some questions about the second one too.
    BTY it (The 2nd. one) does say Gerstner and sons on the center latch. But it does not say Gerstner and sons on the bottom under the bottom drawer like some I have seen.

Here is the Gerstner Tool Chest

Pictures pretty well tell it. Have not started working on this one yet.
    My question if anyone knows is about holding the bottom of the front panel in.
    I think there is supposed to be some type of plate there, but not sure.
    See last pic.
    Thanks, Tony