View Poll Results: Would you buy my book?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would buy the book

9 13.43%
  • There is about a 50% chance that I would buy the book

9 13.43%
  • There is about a 25% chance that I would buy the book

5 7.46%
  • None of the above, but I might buy the book if folks who have read it recommend it

7 10.45%
  • I doubt very much that I would buy the book

37 55.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I write a book about the construction of my workshop?

Question Should I write a book about the construction of my workshop?

In the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15071, a number of people have encouraged me to write a book about the construction of my workshop.

I have done a fair amount of technical writing and editing (and even won awards for same) in the past and I have several friends who are authors, so I know how much work is entailed. I also know that it is very very difficult to make any money.

Nevertheless, the aspect of producing a book is enticing. The easiest and cheapest way that I could do this would be to establish a web site, show fragments of the book on that site, and sell the book in soft copy as a CD that I would mail out. I also think that this would be the best way to reach a wide audience.

I envision the "book" as containing:
    • A diary of day to day (well not every day) progress, setbacks, thoughts, fears, and plans. This would include embedded pictures. This part would be somewhere between 180 and 220 "pages" long, including pictures.

• Workshop layout and site plans (including evolution of same)

• Electrical plans (including evolution of same)

• Dust control plans (including evolution of same)

• Material list and costs (including alternatives considered and rejected).

• About 100 additional photos, including among other things a few series of progressive site photos taken from the same spot over time
    I would wait until the shop is finally populated with machinery before I actually "published" the book and the reasons for purchasing what I finally decide upon would form part of the diary. I think that I could have everything in place to start selling the book by the end of March or April 2005.

I think that the price (including shipping) would be about $15 (either US or Canadian) a copy.

Another thought is that I might submit an very short version of this to various magazines and see if any of them would be willing to publish it as an article.

I would also like your opinion about whether or not I should offer a "hard copy" option (probably for about $25 to $30).

Please answer that attached poll.

I would also like any advice and suggestions about these (very) tentative plans.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 12-27-2004 at 10:00 PM.

Frank,

As I said, before I would definately buy it, I am in the stages of designing my shop, which is basicly an extension, but I won't actually start builing it for another year or so, so your book would actually be of use to me. If you are serious, which I am assuming you are, write the book. I know it feels intimidating, especially when thinking that nobody will like it, but if you don't do it, you'll always be wondering what would've happened if you did. Don't sell yourself short, you CAN do it. I only wish I had something to write about.

Frank,

I have not seen your past posts about building your shop. However, I would buy your book. You should hurry. Just last night I told my wife she should write a book about me building my shop. She's been a great support, but there are times she just rolls her eyes in disbelief at my futile attempts. She's an author and a photographer. I suggested she call it "My Man - He Built Him a Shop." There should be some good natured humor in that one. Of course, there will be some margin notes from her "Man."

John

Tough call, Frank. I think $15 is not too much money so I'll go with Maurice and think there might be a 25% chance I might pick up your book someday.

I think these days that it is much easier to write and publish and distribute a book. I've seen some places that will print however many books you want. I think I read about it in my monthly Coscto mag that they send me as part of my membership. I think that it may be perfect for someone like you from what I know and read about it.

Best of luck to you, Frank, but this will take away from your woodworking me thinks!

Edit: Interesting, you can see who voted how BEFORE you vote. AFTER you vote, you can no longer see who voted for what.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 12-27-2004 at 3:46 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I've already come across 5-6 books on building a shop or remodeling an existing space. As many of us are tied into using the space we have available I'm not sure there is that much new information that isn't already out there in some form. There is also a wealth of information currently archived in various sites.

good luck with your endeavors, however.

Tom

Frank,

As I'm not planning on being in a place to construct my own shop anytime soon, I probably wouldn't have need for a construction book. I'm in our two car garage right now and don't have the property space to build a separate building. I have enjoyed reading your adventures here though.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Is it a book about your shop and how you built it? Or would it be a book for anybody, regardless of the type/size of space they have? If it were a book just describing your experiences with your shop, I would not buy*. But if it were a very general book about shop construction/planning and I was in the market, I would compare it to other similar books before I bought.

*Not say I don't care about you or your shop - I just wouldn't pay for such a specific book.

Stefan

Frank...
    Your saga was interesting and fun to watch but I, IMHO, don't think it's a book. I believe that the best way to design/build your shop is to look at as many shops as you can and adapt ideas to your space and needs. Your shop is yours...and very special to your space and needs...but wouldn't really give people any more information than is already out in other books and online for free.

Below are just a few of the books that you may want to compare your idea to. I don't think yours is significantly different and would attract enough attention away from these...so to answer your question...I wouldn't buy it.

How to Design and Build Your Ideal Woodshop
    by Bill Stankus, Mark Corke

Setting Up Shop: The Practical Guide to Designing and Building Your Dream Shop
    by Sandor Nagyszalanczy

The Small Wood Shop (The Best of Fine Woodworking)
    by Fine Woodworking, Helen Albert (Editor)
    Small Woodworking Shops: The New Best of Fine Woodworking (New Best of Fine Woodworking Series)

Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Frank,

I voted that i probably wouldn't buy the book. We put an addition on our house. I designed it, did the demo/prep work, acted as the general contractor including permits, did the demo/prep work and installed the electrical, insulation and radiant heat. Excavation, foundation, complete shell, plumbing and landscaping were all subbed out.

I found your thread interesting. If you decide to pursue the book (don't let a majority of people saying they wouldn't buy it dissuade you), I'd suggest including some pictures of other people's shops. There are a number of folks here who have really great shops and you might get permission to include a series of pictures with appropriate credits. This would allow you to provide an "I wanted to build a shop, here are pictures of a number of shops, here's my shop, why it was built this way and how I built it" sort of perspective.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    Is it a book about your shop and how you built it? Or would it be a book for anybody, regardless of the type/size of space they have? If it were a book just describing your experiences with your shop, I would not buy*. But if it were a very general book about shop construction/planning and I was in the market, I would compare it to other similar books before I bought.

*Not say I don't care about you or your shop - I just wouldn't pay for such a specific book.

Stefan
    Thanks Stefan. The book that I envision would be about my specific experience. I don't think that I know enough to write a general book. Having said that, the aspects of building such a shop should be common and the methods that I employed with each of those aspects could serve as a "how to" model.

For those of you familiar with the book "The Most Beautiful House in the World" by Witold Rybczynski (ISBN 0 14 01.0566 2), I would aspire to model my writing style of the book to Withold's (not that I would claim to be a writer even in the same league as Mr. Rybczynski but we all need things to aspire towards). If you have not read "The Most Beautiful House in the World" , do yourself a great favour and do so.

I think so. If I ever write a book, I'll do the website for sure, but also list the book on ebay to get exposure. I can print it myself at home and have it 'bound' at Kinkos. I think you should go for it Frank! Given your talents writing the book should be no problem.

Following Kelly's line of thought I'd say go for it. It would be a minimal investment monetarily although pretty substantial investment in time. I'd sure hate to have you put the idea on the shelf with the other "wish I woulda's"
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Please vote!

So far, only 52 people have voted. That is much too small a sample.

Please don't think that you will hurt my fealings if you say you are not interested in the book. All votes are valuable and appreciated.

Frank,
    Another option might be to submit an article to one of the WW mags. Maybe that is the sort of thing that would help with some of our current disenchantment with the mags.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    Frank,
    Another option might be to submit an article to one of the WW mags. Maybe that is the sort of thing that would help with some of our current disenchantment with the mags.
    John, I asked in the initial thread whether or not this was something that I should attempt. Here is what I said there "Another thought is that I might submit an very short version of this to various magazines and see if any of them would be willing to publish it as an article."

You are the first person, to mention that with possibility a specific comment. The first magazine that comes to mind for me is FWW's Tools and Shops annual issue. I would appreciate hearing about any other good fits.